You're limited to 2 basses, what are they?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MultiScaleMale, Apr 16, 2021.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Two Precisions, one with rounds and one with flats.

DavyR, DC in ATX, C Stone and 2 others like this.
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Fender MB-5 with EMG BTC preamp.
    1765228_20210201153855.jpg
    Fender Precision Bass (pre-CBS)

BBassBassington and selowitch like this.
  3. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Two basses would do it for me. I'll keep my White Lady. She's a 1982 MIA Passive Jazz in Olympic White with white binding on a maple neck, white pickguard, white pickup covers, white strat-type knobs, and wide leather white strap. She just has the sweetest sound and playability is just like my '65 Jazz was (same neck shape, profile, and radius). Bought her in 1985 in mint condition. I play 99% of everything on this bass. I have a 5-string "no-name" bass that is actually a decent bass with surprisingly good fit, finish, and workmanship. But it doesn't have the sound that my Jazz Bass does, so it only gets the other 1% of my playing time.

WhiteLadyOutside2.jpg

The second bass would be one I don't have yet. And that would be a Dingwall 5-string, preferably the Sklar signature model. Just as pretty as can be, sounds good, and I'm dying to try out the fanned frets. Was actually offered an Endorser deal from Dingwall, but have to save up some money first and that means I need to be playing gigs again...can hardly wait. But this is the one I want.

Leland Sklar Sig Dingwall 5-string.jpg

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  4. Vitrius Humor

Vitrius Humor Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Tacoma, Washington
  5. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Live Playing = Alembic 5 and Fender P
    Home fun = Vintage EB3 and EB2D

6. Two Precisions, both with flats.

Turock and alack like this.
  7. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Tough choice but I would probably go with a P-bass with flats + a P-bass with rounds. It may not be the most exciting choice and not even always the BEST choice but as allround workhorses they are hard to beat. I guess changing the one with roundwounds for a PJ or a J-bass would offer more versatility but I hardly ever use the neck pickup and I can't stand the sound of blending pickups on P/J-basses so two classic, passive P-basses would probably be the best choice for me if I could only have two.

8. Lakland 55-02 with Lakland rounds and Lakland 55-64 with Chromes. Lakland.jpg

9. Ghastly

Ghastly

Oct 18, 2015
    Mill Valley
    Hm, that's painful. If I had to, it'd be these (three) in this order:
    '73 P
    20161209_100836.jpg

2012 Fender Modern Player
    1.jpg

Guild electric/acoustic
    20190217_065512.jpg

10. My p bass with flats and my upright with a full set of plain Gamut guts.

11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Guest

Nov 22, 2017
    My Fender American Elite Jazz 4 and my Sire P7 5 string. I probably love my Sire 4 string V7 more than the P7 but if keeping only two it would need to be a 4 and a 5, and I'm keeping the other jazz. Plus the P7 has the split coil. Both are active/passive.

So my #1 and my #3 stay. I'd be sad to part with my #2. Fortunately, I don't have to!

#1:

60.jpg

#3:
    sire p7.jpg

12. sonic 7

sonic 7

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    A 4 string J and a 5 string J .

lowdownthump likes this.
  13. Sam Evans

Sam Evans

Nov 29, 2008
    IMG_20210416_112719088.jpg

BBassBassington likes this.
  14. That's easy. 2 Ps, whatever color/neck combo that melts your butter.

Turock likes this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Is there a thread somewhere on Talkpaint where people "have to" specify which 2 brushes they'd use?

Is there a thread on Talkwrench where mechanics "have to " specify which 2 tools they'd be willing to live with to fix cars?

At the risk of losing my participation trophy, I decline to participate in this thread.

TheAnalogKid likes this.
  16. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Guest

Nov 22, 2017
    I didn't see anyone saying you "have to" participate in this thread, so I think you're good here :)

trseal, TheReceder, obimark and 2 others like this.
  17. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile, ਵਿਦਿਆਰਥੀ Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    PXL_20210416_172912740.jpg Kay C1 and Fender Jazz Bass Special fretless. If my 6 string fretless wasn't a POS, it would edge out the fender. Number 3 would probably be a fretted J.

18. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    G&L L-2000 for dress-up... Peavey foundation for sweaty days and cold nights. G&L.jpg IMG_2335.JPG

19. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Upright and electric.

Electric is my de-fretted early 70s Mustang.