Just called Guitar Center....LOL

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by KablesP, Jan 27, 2014.

1. A few years back I was at a GC looking at keyboards and wanted to make sure
    that the unit would fit in the space I had in my jam room. I asked if they had a tape measure and turns out they did not have one tape measure in the store. The sales guy said they have had them in the past but they always get lost or stolen within a few days of having them. I bring my own now.

2. The Walmart near me sells bass guitars in the store (but not to me...) :ninja:

3. Really? I did not know that! In that case I really wouldn't buy a bass at Walmart! :rollno:

4. Wait, you mean there are still musicians out there who think clerks at GC are hired for their expertise and knowledge?

That's amazing.

There are usually only one or two guys in the entire store who have a clue. Figure out who they are, deal with them and them only.

5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

As a person who uses tape measures regularly, I can say that if you leave one lying around, it will move. Somebody may not steal it, but it will get moved and you won't be able to find it. So, I'm not at all surprised to find out that GC gave up on tape measures. If an individual employee has a tape, he would have to carry it with him all the time, or it would also disappear. That's just the nature of tape measures.

6. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Word... we keep ours back in drums and keep tabs on any other departments who borrow it. I think it's the last one in the store. Might be more around here but my tiny GC employee brain just can't keep track of multiple objects

7. musicianary

musicianary Guest

Jun 23, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    What if we all applied at Guitar Center, got hired, quit our jobs, and turned the store around?! Lol

8. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    When I was between jobs, I went online to apply at Guitar Center, and discovered that they actually have a musical knowledge test one must take. Apparently, GC then ignores the scores and hires the cousin of the managers' sister.

9. People want expert quality with expert service for free. Which is why companies never have it.

GC probably started that with good intentions and then realized how badly it restricted the pool of employee's who would work for the little they pay.

You can ask for all the qualifications in the world but if the pay is not commensurate with them. You won't get anyone.

And if they paid well enough, the prices would be exorbitant and they would have no customers.

So, they hire the cheapest labor possible..

10. msaone

msaone Guest

May 13, 2012

I work in construction and have hired "experienced carpenters" that have answered that way when asked for a measurement

11. offhand35

offhand35 Supporting Member

Hmmm, there are 5 GC's in Connecticut. I have had good experiences in all of them, as I travel all over for work. I was always sure to confirm in person before buying, but otherwise they have all treated me well.
    I have bought several items from out-of-state stores, but only had to return something once. The return policy is the only thing that makes it worthwhile to jump out on that limb. Everything seems to be usually well packed, but I did receive a used amp head loose in a box once. I wondered how it made it all the way from Michigan still ok!

12. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
  13. Itzayana

Itzayana Guest

Aug 15, 2012
    Oakland Ca
    You should have told him that if he needed something with which to measure 1.5 inches he could just drop his drawers.

14. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

They clearly don't speak proper knuckle dragger. If they were really experienced carpenters, they would have said, it's a **** hair past the ******* two on the ****ing tape, you *******.

15. squirefan

squirefan

Nov 22, 2009
    Lansing, Ks.
    At my local GC if you look like you don't fit their genre, then you don't know what you're talking about.
    The only helpful one was the guitar tech (looked about my age) that put his work down to actually ask me if I needed help. And knew exactly what I was talking about.

16. davidhilton

davidhilton Commercial User

Apr 13, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    First mistake: calling Guitar Center. 2nd mistake: thinking that anyone in the GC bass dept knows anything about bass. Guitar Center = Wallmart of music stores- try to avoid them at all costs.
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com

17. offhand35

offhand35 Supporting Member

That could be a retirement plan.....:rolleyes:

18. Bean639

Bean639 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Richmond, Va
    Okay. This is weird. On Monday THE EXACT SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! I was interested in the charcoal burst L-2000 in IN. I wanted to just know the neck radius. 12 or 7 1/2. I also wanted to make sure it was a 6 bolt neck. The guy in IN. makes fun of me being particular about the 6 bolt part than proceeds to tell me he doesn't know the radius. All the tools to measure are locked up. The guy in my GC explains that techs are off Sundays and Mondays. I explain.... take piece of string and a rule.... make a center point.... draw a circle.... cut out the paper... hold against neck....

3 hours later....still no response.

Okay. I personally call the store manager at that location and explain the same thing. I say. If its a 12" radius I'll buy it right now. He comes back 6 min later and says sorry its a 7 1/2.

I'm really suspicious he just said 7 1/2 and didn't measure a thing.

The previous guy who poked fun of my bolt preference said it was his lunchtime bass and "... I dunno man, it feels like a P neck to me."

1) If you can't tell the difference between a P neck and a J neck on a bass you play every day, keep your opinion on my bolt preference to yourself until you're qualified for such opinion.

2) There is obviously a large amount of either ignorance, I don't give a F, or both going on. I don't care the rational behind why, it makes me very hesitant to spend my money with them.

If anyone can actually play that bass, I would love to know the radius of that neck.

19. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Apparently I don't know anything about bass. Pretty big assumption coming from someone who knows nothing about me.

Nothing shows confidence in your business like having to make broad and offensive statement about competitors, right?