1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1978 Fender fretless Precision neck--maple board

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by soulstew, Feb 3, 2017.

1. soulstew

soulstew Supporting Member

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Price:
    $325
    I'm down to the last, most beloved piece in my quest to reimburse the family account for the recent purchase of an expensive bass. This fretless neck was the heart and soul of my main player for many years. I acquired it in the early 80's attached to a 69-72 era P bass body and hardware, and have only ever used flats on it. All original finish, but I did recently drop-fill two dings on the fretboard, only one of which actually touched a string path. I followed the Stew-Mac method of drop-filling, and used their vintage tinted superglue. After I'd leveled the drop-fills, I used 4000-8000 polishing cloth with the correct radiused sanding block to buff the fingerboard back to a glassy finish. I was very happy with the results.

This neck is straight, and the truss rod works normally. There is a ding on the upper back side of the neck that I didn't fill, since it didn't affect tone or playability.

The nut is new--a pre-cut Fender--so some fine-filing of the grooves may be in order to get it where you like it. I've got nut files and feeler gauges, so I could do it to your spec, or you could do it yourself or have a local luthier do it. Or I could sell you my nut files, for that matter:)

The profile of this neck is pretty standard modern-day P-bass. It's a B width, so 1 5/8th. Not a chunky baseball bat, but not a Geddy either. It always felt just right in my hand, but I seem to be happy with most necks, from extra-slim Jazz 4 stringers to 5 stringers.

The date code on the heel is for the 4th day of the 17th week of 1978, so this neck was completed on Thursday, April 27, 1978.

I've seen these go for $400-700, but I'm looking for a quick sale, so I'm pricing it at $325 shipped CONUS. Paypal is great.
    Pics follow:

DSC02497_zpssi6qayph.
    DSC02505_zpsob2ruorw.
    Drop fills. (level to the touch, but more or less visible depending on viewing angle)
    DSC02502_zpsvttazq9m. DSC02498_zpskoyyvuud. DSC02500_zps6briomep. DSC02499_zpskomgoucy. DSC02501_zps0ukgurz3.
    Thanks for looking!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Jay Mastro

Jay Mastro

Jun 23, 2014
    New York
    I wish, this is one of my dream bass components. Glwts my friend, I know something like this will go to a good home

soulstew likes this.
  3. soulstew

soulstew Supporting Member

May 15, 2014
    North Dakota
    Thanks for the good wishes! It'll be a great neck for somebody.

4. Orange Caesar

Orange Caesar Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2014
    NorCal
    Super cool... maybe next payday!

soulstew likes this.
  5. beerman_5000

beerman_5000

Jan 29, 2012
    Saint Louis
    PM sent.

soulstew likes this.