1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2006 Lakland 55-01 with Nordys and Bartolini pre

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by sleevey55, Mar 11, 2013.

1. sleevey55

sleevey55 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    For sale only: 2006 Lakland Skyline 55-01 with Nordstrand Duals installed and an NTMB preamp with switches for each pickup. This is one of the most tonally versatile basses you will ever find in this price range. Bass is in amazing condition and It, like all of my basses, looks unplayed. Brand new set of Labella Steels on it. Sadowsky control knobs. The swamp ash is super figured and looks killer in person. Neck is straight as an arrow with only the slightest relief. Frets are MINT. Back of bass has super hair like swirls in one 2" by 2' spot but you have to hold it up to a light to notice it.....its super hard to see. Front of bass is perfect, no swirls,dents,dings,scratches.....nothing. Looks new. I do not have the stock pre amp or pickups. I tossed them (silly I know). Bass will come with a really nice hard shell case. Got some cash tied up in the pickups and pre, so Im asking $900 shipped. Thanks for looking!!

Attached Files:

2. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    More eye candy..

Attached Files:

3. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    And more....

Attached Files:

4. punkrockdave

punkrockdave Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Pm sent

5. CLynch

CLynch

Mar 9, 2013
    This may be a dumb question but what do you mean by slightest relief?

6. bassguyky48

bassguyky48 Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Central KY./Danville
    A lot of setup folks recommend slight relief as opposed to a straight neck. I'm not sure why........I'm sure there are a lot of folks here on the forums that do know.

7. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better.

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    PM sent! I've been on the hunt for one of these!!

To the other question: Slight relief is recommended because the strings vibrate in an arc and a slight amount of bow in the neck will accomodate that arc better than a totally flat neck. You can usually set the bridge saddles lower with a slight amount of relief than you can when the neck is perfectly straight.

The possible exception is with fretless, where you want a certain amount of buzz all the way up the fretboard.

8. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Means the neck has a wee bit of relief.....meaning, the headstock tip (fret-board side) leans towards the frett-side........so, the neck has a slight, slight bow. Relief is what you see when you loosen the strings. Hope I described this to your satisfaction?? Thanks!

9. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    On hold for Groovaholic!!!!

10. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    To answer more on the relief topic. If the neck is perfectly straight form heel to nut, you are limiting how low you can go with youre action. Strings need room to shake/rotate and vibe. With some relief in a neck...the relief is always the most at the middle of the neck........which goes hand in hand with where the string moves the most, which is at its "slackest" place....the middle.

11. sleevey55

Nov 21, 2009
    Billings Montana
    Sold to Groovaholic!!!!!!!

12. CLynch

CLynch

Mar 9, 2013
    Thank you for the explanation(s) -- congrats Groovaholic!

13. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Oh yeah! Mine!

Had to sell off my Dingwall ABII a couple months ago.

I didn't have a job at that point, and still am not in a band, so it was tough to justify holding onto a $4000 bass (that the lucky buyer got for quite a bit less).

So I have really missed having a 5-string.

Fast forward several months, and I've gotten a job and my federal and state tax returns.

I remembered having a fretless Skyline 55-01 and being impressed with the clarity of the low B -- so I looked at the Lakland Skylines as an affordable and acceptable alternative to the Dingwalls that had been my main basses for 9 years.

I'll post my thoughts when I receive the bass...

14. music_mannl

music_mannl

Mar 14, 2013
    Are you located in canada

15. music_mannl

music_mannl

Mar 14, 2013
    Just noticed your from the us. Will you ship to canada

16. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    If I decide not to keep it, I'll let you know.