1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

For Sale 3/4 German flat back

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by estringjamey, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. estringjamey

estringjamey Commercial User

Price:
    Strings:
    This bass is a stunner. The varnish has a subtle red layer underneath. It may even be French. I think this bass was originally a larger scale and converted as you can see from the pegbox. Scale length is 41", lower bout 26", upper bout 19.5". I live in the Kansas City area.

Attached Files:

2. RonRienstra

RonRienstra

Mar 2, 2012
    Love the look of this bass. Can you tell me more about it? Carved or Hybrid? Where was it made?

3. estringjamey

sorry, I can't tell which German flatback you mean. I posted 2 of them. The one with the reddish tint for 6k, or the chocolate brown one for 4k?

4. RonRienstra

RonRienstra

Mar 2, 2012
    Reddish tint

5. estringjamey

Ok that bass. I got that bass from our local violin shop.I used to work there and they have over 20 employees. Their best luthier took off the top doubled it around the edges and put in all new purfling.I'm sure he repaired it internally at the time. That guy is the best luthier I know, and I'm a luthier. He did a perfect job. They then left it in the shop for about 10 years(never set it up, and never varnished the edges from the purling out.) and sold it to me. I took it to the varnish master and paid him big money to touch it all up and French polish it. The bass looks stunning. Did you notice how odd the pegbox looks? The owner of the shop thought the pegbox was too odd to get the big money they get in their shop. He told me that's why he decided to sell it to me. that is an old technique for shortening the scale length. So the color kind of suggests French, the varnish was definitely better quality. It was probably full size or 7/8 before it was modified. The purfling on the back looks like it was painted on. Kind of an odd duck. There were some makers of note who didn't use real purfling...The sound- It has more of a rich dark sound. plenty of volume. Hope this helps!

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.