1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 89-90 MIJ Fender J

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 4Mal, Jan 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Price:
    Strings:
    Bought this one and then a Mike Lull... It weighs 10 pounds or a smidgen under. Pickups I believe are stock MIJ. Strung with TI Jazz Flats.

It is an I series number with JB-355 stamped on the neck heel and pocket. This is the MIJ version of a standard J. Top loader.

It is quiet for a single coil j, that is the MIJ shielding at work.

Frets are good with minor wear showing in the first few. Not as much as you would expect for a bass this old though. Plenty of life left there.

The truss will turn both ways but is very stiff. In my opinion, staying with light, low tension strings is the key with this one. If you want to run heavier than TIJF's or Sunbeam lights, I would look elsewhere.

Having said that, I have it playing with low action which suits my light touch. It can come up easily.

$350 plus freight from 98651. PayPal is ok. Pm me for further details. Bag or case available but at extra cost.

Thx!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0026.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0029.JPG IMG_2782.JPG IMG_0028.JPG

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I cleaned up the control cavity wiring and replaced the bridge pickup vol pot with a full sized Alpha 250K audio taper. The original had been subjected to some high temp soldering...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  4. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Any pictures of the back?....trades ?

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    IMG_0030.JPG

As requested. Note scars on the butt and top edges. Cheaper than a Road Worn ...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Hey! Didja notice you can snag a near to 30 yr old MIJ J Bass for less than some new MIM Fenders or Indo/Korean imports ? And you don't have to do the whole shielding project thing as the MIJ plates and star grounding thing is already done...

motes likes this.
  7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    People have no idea how sweet these basses are. Such a great period for fender Japan. I had a Tele from the same period that I still never should have sold.

8. bassfreakah

bassfreakah

Mar 26, 2011
    Endorsing Artist Ernie ball strings
    I got one of these years ago from here on TB and it is a keeper, killer J bass!!!!! I really love it!!!!!!!!! killer bass.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    As it should. I've had a few of these over the years and this era MIJ Fender is classic. If I could swing a 10 pounder, she'd stay home to back up the Lull.. my beat up old shoulders say that isn't happening though...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  10. MadsJunker

MadsJunker

Jul 5, 2013
    Denmark
    That beauty is just screaming my name..

PM sent!

11. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    And it could be yours!

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Back and available again and priced ... low. Accepting trades but... I'm full up on basses. A nice MIJ tele or strat ? SVT -3 Pro ? Some really cool mic or multiples of a workhorse mic ? I'm partial to Audix and Rode and Sennheiser... those would be for a PA context as opposed to studio... oh, a U5 would get my attention.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    And sold