1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Acoustic Image Coda R SIII - $800

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Bass Amps, Strings, & Accessories' started by TroyK, Aug 14, 2012.

1. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'd like to sell my Acoustic Image Coda R Series III combo
    I bought it new from Gollihur when the Series IIIIs came out. Retail was $1,200, they discounted them a little bit to make way for the new ones.

You know the amp, but the general specs are:

Size:
    12"x15"x13"
    Less than 20 lbs

Goods:
    2 Channels, mic and instrument inputs
    1 MG impedance
    Phantom Power
    Direct Out
    Has a voltage switch for, what international travel?
    Bass/Mid/Treble Controls
    Notch and Low Cut Filter
    1 x 10" downward firing woofer
    1 x 5" forward firing
    1 x 1" forward firing tweeter
    400w @ 4 ohms
    500w @ 2 ohms (with a 4 ohm ext cabinet)

Here's my quick review on this, I'm happy to answer any other questions:

It's an amazing, ultra portable amp great for doublebass or practice EBG. The piano player in my trio gigs with this same amp and it sounds great. The two channel thing is amazing, he and I have shared his amp on a gig and we've run a mic through the extra channel on his or mine. Works great for not only yappin' between songs, but surprising well for a singer sitting in.

As a bass amp, when it's good, it's unbelievably great. We had a recurring trio gig with a nice grand piano in a room with good sound, I'd throw this under the piano and it disappeared. Sonically, it sounded like we were all acoustic, but clear. However, funk band, big stage, margarita machine next to the band, bartender shaking martinis, hallow stage, heavy drummer....not my favorite amp on those gigs in the interest of full disclosure. It goes plenty loud, but that acoustic transparency isn't really what you need in those situations. Having the right place to put it and knowing how to use the eq and that filter help a lot, but it take some futzing and I don't really like futzing. It does have a line out to an 8ohm ext cabinet, which opens up a lot of possibilities. I used this amp for sonically friendly gigs or gigs that required me to carry my grip for a long way. It's a Buddasend for both of those reasons. I have a larger EA amp for everything else.

The rub for me is that I love that EA amp so much that I always want to use it, so I'm parting with the Acoustic Image and someone will pick up an incredible piece of equipment in like new condition $400 below retail. I've seen people list amps recently as "basement (or studio) queens". This is the opposite of that, I gigged with this under those ideal circumstances above and kept it under it's cover the rest of the time.

Full disclosure on condition:
    On the little kick stand feet there is supposed to be a little rubber foot/condom. One of them has it and the other does not. Not sure how long it's been missing, never noticed before. I'll bet AI would send you a new one.

The slip cover/bag shows some wear and there's a 3" tear near the bottom of it (pictured) but it did it's job because the amp itself looks new.

There are 2 are currently on eBay with BIN set at $900 and $1,200, but that doesn't seem right to me. No completed auctions that I can find.

We have something currently here that's either a coda or a contra for $800 (seller changed the description and there are no pics)
    We had one appear to sell here in July for $800
    One in March for $700 but the seller had no TB feedback, so he may have had to take a little hit.

I'm going to offer mine for $800 shipped in the cont. US. I will ship to Alaska, Hawaii, US territories or Canada, but we'll have to look at and agree to some shipping costs. Australia, Afghanistan? PM me and we'll talk.

Would maybe consider trade credit for an EA Micro head.

It's a good amp, I won't risk my well established TBDB reputation with a less than perfect transaction. If you have questions or want different photos, please ask.

Attached Files:

• ai1.
      ai1.jpg
      File size:
      91.3 KB
      Views:
  2. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    More Photos
    Would like to see something else? Say what and it will be so.

Attached Files:

• ai2.
      ai2.jpg
      File size:
      87.8 KB
      Views:
    • a13.
      a13.jpg
      File size:
      46.4 KB
      Views:
  3. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    So, guys, I'll give this a little bit of time, but I would like to sell it and would love to keep it in the family. Indications are that it would bring $800+ shipping on eBay, but you're my people, yo.

I listed those auctions and TBDB sales to let you know how I set my price. You won't offend me with reasonable offers and if I need to work with someone a little bit, I'll consider it.

I'll likely give TB and local craigslist about a week's head start before eBay. Don't be shy.

4. PM sent.

5. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    PM Replied.

There is interest, but it's still available.

6. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Here are a few pictures specifically of how the head nests inside of the cabinet. The Series III combo was not designed to be able to dock and un-dock the head like the series IIIIs were, but I recall some of TB chatter about doing it. I never tried, the magic of this amp for me is picking it up by the handle, dropping it on stage and plugging in.

But, what I see is 6 screws on the top that are certainly holding the head in and 3 on the back, where the head meets the combo. If I were the type to do things like this, I'll bet those 9 screws would break the head free so that you could slide it out. I don't know how the internal speaker is wired. I wouldn't do it personally, but I know some of these combos were modded that way.

Hope the photos help. I've had a couple of rounds of PMs with a couple of good guys. Still available, though.

Also, not in my original specs, the combo has a speaker out to a 4ohm extension cabinet of your choice and puts out 500w at 2 ohms.

Attached Files:

• ai4.
      ai4.jpg
      File size:
      68.8 KB
      Views:
    • ai5.
      ai5.jpg
      File size:
      65.8 KB
      Views:
  7. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    SOLD!

Thanks to everyone who responded and to Talkbass.

8. Hi there,

I have this amp for sale on Classifieds in case anyone didn't get a chance to buy it from TroyK and is still interested.

TroyK, if you know of anyone interested, would you mind letting me know? Thanks!