1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Apollo Violin Scroll Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bombjack, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Hi - I bought this here on TB but decided it's not my thing and I'd like it to be played.

Here's the original thread with photos:
    Apollo Violin Scroll Bass

Here's a slideshow with the rest of the photos:
    http://s595.photobucket.com/albums/tt35/bombjackny/apollo violin scroll bass/?albumview=slideshow

PRICE DROP! [DEL] $250 [/DEL] $200 + shipping CONUS

Some other additional notes:
    -The pickguard didn't survive shipping...I have it and will include it
    -The case didn't really survive shipping either. It's good for storage but I wouldn't trust it for anything else.
    -There's a saw cut on the fretboard near the 12th fret I didn't do it! It was there when I got it! :)
    -One of the tuners was broken and glued/puttied back together.

The same TI flats are on it. I took the bass apart and cleaned it up as best I could.

As the original seller said, it needs a good setup and has the wear you would expect on a bass this old.

Thanks!
    John

2. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    these basses also go under the PAN name. i got one off of ebay a few years ago. not sure if aria or univox were making these. hofner - ish vibe - little thinner on the sound.

3. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Thanks! I've never played a Hofner so I have nothing to compare it to really. It's a cool bass and I love the look of it, but now that I have it I really can't see playing it very often so I'd like to see it get some use.

Thanks again!
    John

4. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Still available....thanks!

5. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Bump for the weekend crowd...thanks!

6. Pm'd

7. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Still available. All PMs replied to but no deals so far.

Thanks for looking!
    John

8. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Another bump for the weekend crowd!

Price drop too....$225 + shipping CONUS?

Thanks!
    John

9. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Price drop! $200 + shipping CONUS.

Last bump before ebay...I really would love to sell it here.

Thanks.
    John

10. jnol

jnol

May 7, 2010
    john,
    i'm interested in this bass.
    please email me
    olmermusic at yahoo dot ca

11. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    "I'm too lazy to list this on ebay" bump.
    Thanks.
    John

12. agish

agish

May 8, 2010
    1) Can you tell me what shape the machine heads are in?
    2) Do you have photos of the headstock?
    3) Does it come with a case? If so what kind?

I have had many of these particular bases (apolla, letcra, etc). Some come with a flat headstock and 1 pickup. Most of the ones with two pick ups come with the full scroll top

This is the one with all moveable parts.... tricky to set up because every part "floats" when you take the strings off, like a real violin. It's like a moving puzzle.

How much for shipping to 30307 (Atlanta, GA)?

Thanks,
    ms. gish

13. agish

agish

May 8, 2010
    Sorry. Didn't realize there was more than one photo. I see the hard case and the scroll top.

So -- what shape are the machine heads in? That is a problem with these guys sometimes.

And shipping to 30307.

Thanks.

14. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Hi - thanks for your posts and questions.

The machine heads themselves work fine - gears, etc. fully turn and keep string tension. The only 'problem' is the one I mentioned - one of the tuner knobs (the part that you turn) apparently broke apart in three pieces and was puttied together. It holds together just fine.

I never got around to taking better pictures since there really hasn't been much real interest in this bass. You can kind of see it in one of the closeup picture but I do apologize for never taking pictures. I have the bass at work and can take and post better pictures this week.

The bass does have a case but it's pretty worthless. When it was shipped to me the box tore and a lot of the filling fell out so the box and the case took a real beating. I screwed the case back together but haven't tried to travel anywhere with it. It has 4 or 5 latches so I think it would hold, but I really wouldn't trust it for long term travelling...just for storage.

And you are so right about about setup - the bridge and harness float and describing it as a moving puzzle is exactly the metaphor I couldn't think of myself!

The action is OK and I intonated it as best I could but as I said, I have really not played it much and really should never have purchased it. I bought it on a whim and while it's a great old bass in really nice shape, it's just not for me.

I will take more detailed pictures on either Monday or Tuesday and if you are still interested I will get a formal price for shipping. Roughly, I figure probably $40 or so via FedEx Ground based on a guitar I sold at the end of last year.

Thanks again!
    John

15. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Added a new slideshow with new pictures....

16. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Any takers?

17. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Bump.

18. Robbsend

Robbsend

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi buddy,

I'll take it !!!! I've been lookin' for this model for so long.

What is the cheapest shipping cost to Canada, zip code is j0k3e0

Thank's.

19. bombjack

bombjack

Feb 3, 2009
    NYC
    Hi - I had someone else PM me from Canada this morning at 10:32am about it as well...I'm not too keen on shipping out of the US but if I change my mind and a deal falls through with the first person I'll let you know.

Very strange...no action on this posting for months now 2 a half hour apart! My listing must have finally made it to Google or something!!

Thanks again...

20. Robbsend

Robbsend

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi John,

I spoke this morning with a buddy (Jim) who told me you had this bass for sale,
    he must be the other Canadian who tried to contact you this mornin'.

Keep me posted I'll be standing by.....hoping like hell to get it. LOL

Robb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.