For Sale/Trade Bag End 2x15: Vintage & Custom

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by LowG, Mar 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Price:
    $400
    Way back in 2008 I tried a couple of times to sell this cab here on Talkbass but didn't ultimately succeed. There certainly was a lot of enthusiasm, check out the old threads for lots of interesting conversation and information:
    SOLD - Bag End 2x15 - Oiled Birch
    Bag End 2x15 - Oiled Birch

It is an oiled birch cab that is not a part of Bag End's regular product line. It is two of their S15B-D cabs (their big 15" cab) put together into one 2x15. This is an extremely large and awe inspiring cab.

36" high w/o casters
    28" wide
    24" deep
    If you need to ask how much it weighs it's too heavy for you ;)

I will not ship this. I am in Milwaukee, WI and I'm willing to meet in the general Milwaukee, Chicago, Madison area. If you're farther away, take a road trip with the band! I'll help you get a gig in Milwaukee.

The serial number is 1710, which according to the old threads puts this as likely made prior to 1974. I got this from a TB member in Chicago and when he found it it had some mis-matched speakers in it, so he bought (then) new speakers appropriate for this cab directly from Bag End and those speakers are still in it.

One thing to say about this cab is that it is extremely efficient. The published sensitivity for the 1x15 version is 1 Watt/1 Meter 103 dB SPL and I suppose it handles 400 watts / 4 ohms since the 1x15 version is 200 watts / 8 ohms. For all you out there that want to drive a loud band with a V4B this is the cab you need to do it!

This will end up in storage if nobody bites. I'm trying to be pretty reasonable with the price given that I won't ship it. At $600 it's not much more than it would cost for 2 Bag End 15" speakers without any cabinet....

BagEnd1.JPG BagEnd2.JPG BagEnd3.JPG

I'm open to full/partial trades.
    Amps: I'm pretty well set with amps, so no amp trades.
    Cabs: I'm set for loud music cabs, so only low volume hi-fi cabs would be interesting.
    Basses: I barely play bass guitar any more, but a good quality P or PJ (with flats?) could be interesting.
    Pedals: I could really use a Leslie simulator for my Hammond organ. I could also really use a nice filter pedal like the Moog or the Death by Audio stuff. Otherwise just try me - I'm pretty well set with overdrive/distortion/fuzz but I like crazy stuff.
    Studio: This is where the most trade bait could be for me. I'm doing a lot of engineering these days and I'm making room in my studio, which is why this cab is going to storage. Nice studio dynamic mics (not SM-58 or similar) would be helpful. The right condenser, but I'll be more picky - I need it to have good off-axis performance. Other cool studio odds and ends could be interesting.
    Home Audio: I love turntables and hi-fi.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Murch, n-j-, ArenW and 6 others like this.
  2. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    All hail the mighty Bag End!!!
    Interesting feature: the port covers make this cab ported (very loud and deep) or sealed (loud, somewhat deep, and excellent transient response). Different flavors of awesome.

BasturdBlaster and 123321 like this.
  3. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Yeah, pop those covers off and get your flairs flappin!

BasturdBlaster and 123321 like this.
  4. gnergaard

gnergaard

May 31, 2002
    Chicago, IL USA
    I used to use one of the single 15" cabs back in the day.
    It is such a simple design but arguably the best sounding 1 x 15 cab I've ever heard, and the variable port does make a noticeable difference in the response of the speaker.
    The build quality of these old Bag End cabs is 2nd to none.
    2 of these together would likely be enough for even the largest stages.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  5. Bassman_1988

Bassman_1988 Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    Man I’m looking for a 2x15... this looks way too nice for me. I’m more of a tolex guy. I’ll ask though. Where at in Wisconsin? I’m out of Minneapolis area. Thanks!

6. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I’m in Milwaukee.

Bassman_1988 likes this.
  7. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Price Drop to $500 :)

8. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I believe @svtb15 toured with the 215 and 212 cabs like your 215. I can imagine what it sounds like and it truly is glorious!

I wish had the scratch for this sweet cab!

20190308_174506.jpg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  9. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Let's try a $400 special for TB members only! Laws of supply and demand are demanding that I lower the price on this beauty!

BasturdBlaster and Bassman_1988 like this.
  10. Bassman_1988

Bassman_1988 Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2014
    Minneapolis
    Gaaaah your killing me.

madmarvin likes this.
  11. No More Doggin

No More Doggin

Apr 1, 2019
    Chicago
    Hey Now
    Is this cab still available? I'm In Chicago.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2022