1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Blond 1953 Kay M-1-B

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Philonius, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    Price:
    $2250
    Strings:
    Selling this venerable beast that I acquired here from Nathan Parker in 2013. I realize that I’ll never put the work into it to progress beyond the bare minimum of competency, and that I’d be better off spending my time becoming better on the electric bass. Oh, and it’s taking up a sizable chunk of my living room. Records indicate a 1953 manufacture date, so she’s a year older than me. Let’s say we’ve both lived life fully, and have the dings and scrapes to show for it. Someone else should be giving it the love she deserves.

Since Nathan can actually play, I’ll borrow his description:
    I've referred to this bass as the Falcon. She's not much to look at, but she's got it where it counts. There's not much subtlety or refinement to the tone, but it is even, consistent and projects like nobody's business. It has been my main use bass for about 6 months, and I've never had any issues with it, save my own. The fingerboard looks to be original, and is still plenty thick. Could probably stand to be planed if you're going to lower the string height, but as it is setup now, it plays fine. The bridge and soundpost are about 6 months old, and the bridge has adjusters.

It has a fair amount of wear, especially around the edges. I'd say it's all fairly typical for a workin' girl. The previous owner disclosed that the neck was off refitted at one point, done by Hammond Ashley Violins in Seattle. Never broken though, just appears to be reglued.

< 50's Kay M1B $1750 >

After the purchase, I took it to Les White (former Hammond Ashley tech) at Honeytone Bass Clinic for some work; he thinned and re-shaped the bridge, shimmed and recut the nut, glued and varnished various bits of delamntation around the edges, re-glued the heel of the neck and the saddle. You can see that there's a chunk out of one of the scroll pieces, this would be a relatively easy fix if one were so inclined. I’ve added a Golihur bag, wheel, bow quiver, and Realist Full Circle pickup. I replaced the strings with Corelli’s (probably 370s) which have relatively little use on them. It comes with the standard adjustable steel endpin, and Ooo-La-La; a swanky Johnny Atomic turned maple endpin which *most definitely* sounds better and ought to fit nicely if you happen to be around 5’10” tall. : )

Obviously prefer a local sale, but I’d be willing to discuss shipping.

I do also have a good no-name carbon fiber bow purchased from Hammond Ashley, available separately.

44h9gm1g_o.

y3TM6l5F_o.

Iehl4rlF_o.

RmxqrXCh_o.

WKGFlpPu_o.
    5sLAIHz0_o.

U4jEpCOh_o.

Fo65nq2K_o.

Zl3vJqAt_o.

String Thing likes this.
  2. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Great looking old Kay at a fair price!

String Thing likes this.
  3. Philonius

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    I suppose it's worth mentioning- I live in Seattle, would consider putting a few road hours into a meetup.

rknea likes this.
  4. Philonius

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    It's certainly sad to sell such a sweet instrument, but then it just sat eating a big chunk living room space. Sold to @David Miranda who will make MUCH better use of it than I'd been. Cool guy, and I'm sure he'll really enjoy this great old gal.

5. David Miranda

David Miranda

Jul 21, 2018
    Already had a great jam time with my brother after picking her up. It's just what I was looking for.
    Thanks @Philonius for the great instrument and making sure I didn't run off without the bow!