1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FS - 1970 Guild M85

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mmmalmberg, Dec 6, 2011.

1. mmmalmberg

mmmalmberg

Nov 21, 2011
    This is an early M85 with dual Hagstroms and the deep body, black with white binding. I just rewired it with new caps, CTS pots, new switch and jack, all of the hot runs are shielded and it sounds better than ever. I was going to say I don't know why I waited 'til now to do this but having just done it I know the answer - it's quite a pain when the only access is through the pickup holes! But it's sounding really great.

Neck and fretboard are in beautiful shape, normal paint wear and chips. Holds tune like a piano, intonation is excellent.

This has been my bass for the past thirty-some years but I just have never played it enough to justify owning it and need cash to buy a hang-glider. I mostly play sax and have kept other instruments like this around for noodling - it deserves someone who can really use it.

Pics at www.markmalmberg.com/guild/. $3400. USD plus shipping. Reply here or email me mmmalmberg (AT) comcast (DOT) net. Located near SF CA.

thanks,
    Mark M.

2. louiedi

louiedi Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Connecticut
    Gorgeous! That is my dream bass. Wish I had the cash. Good luck with the sale. If you're interested in a trade, let me know. I have a 5 string Sadowsky NYC if you have an urge.

Lou

3. Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm, that is tasty!

4. Just got your PM. I'd absolutely love to, but definitely out of my price range. For the benefit of others, though, is this the solid or hollowbody model?

EDIT: I'd guess from your statement that the only access is through the pickup routes that this is a hollowbody model, then? If that's the case, (and I apologize for asking so many questions, I'm just not very familiar with the build varieties of the M85) is the body blocked internally like the Starfire?

5. mmmalmberg

mmmalmberg

Nov 21, 2011
    In a Guild ad I have it refers to the M85 as a "semi-solid" body, but it's the one generally referred to as the semi-hollow body. Definitely blocked, quite so, ie. probably a good bit more than a Starfire. (though I don't know how much blocking a Starfire has)

The solid-bodies are much thinner - I haven't measured this but it's like 2.5"-3" deep.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I had one of those like 15 years ago. I sold it for $120! :crying:

7. mmmalmberg

mmmalmberg

Nov 21, 2011
    bassgod that's very funny. I suspect we've all had similar experiences. In balance, hopefully we've all found some great deals as wellsomewhere along the way!

8. mmmalmberg

mmmalmberg

Nov 21, 2011
    p.s. if it's not obvious, on the image gallery page click the square to the left of the forward/back controls, make your window full-frame and you'll see much bigger pics.

9. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

How much does this bass weigh?

10. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Oh man, gorgeous. My two starfires are enough for me at the moment, but one like this is now officially on my short list.

11. mmmalmberg

mmmalmberg

Nov 21, 2011
    SOLD.

That was quick...

Yeah it's not a lightweight guitar but I don't know the actual weight - guess I'll find out when I ship it:)

12. Thank god! I couldn't bear to look at this another day!

13. mmmalmberg

mmmalmberg

Nov 21, 2011
    That's very funny - I know exactly how you feel! Now I just have to force myself to pack it up and ship it:)