1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD FS: 1990 MIJ 51 RI P Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by silverburst, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverburst

silverburst Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I would like to sell my Made in Japan Fender 51 Re-Issue Precision Bass. I brought this back from Japan on one of my business trips. I am only selling it to fund a Sadowsky I have on the way.

Please note that this is a Made in Japan bass (not Crafted in Japan), with a serial number of K023610, which dates it to around 1990. That makes this one of the earliest Japanese 51 re-issues, and there are a few notable differences between these and the newer ones. Including:

• The ferrules are larger and are recessed into the body, more like the originals.
    • The wiring harness goes through the body, not through a route under the pickguard.
    • It uses higher-quality large potentiometers, unlike the mini ones on the currently produced basses. Accordingly, it has a larger cavity for the pots, making it like the originals. It would be hard to fit the larger pots into one of the newer ones, due to the smaller cavity.
    • A thicker, higher-quality pickguard that looks more period correct
    It has the original finish, and it is in really nice shape. There are just a few small nicks and scuffs as a result of normal use, not abuse. It has a nice vintage vibe to it. Please see the photos for details.

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r271/olympic_white/MIJ 51 RI P Bass/

It has the original electronics, with no modifications.

The neck is really nice. It has American reverse-style tuners which are as solid as a rock with some tarnishing. I have been unable to determine if Fender Japan used this style of tuner or not, but my other early 51 RI has the same tuners. These tuners have tarnished quite a bit, for a nice vintage vibe.

The frets are fantastic, with only light wear. The neck to pocket fit is excellent too. The neck is a dream. It is true, and the truss rod works freely.

It weighs in at around 10 pounds, 4 ounces, according to my scale.

It plays great! I had it recently set-up by my guitar tech with Ernie Ball Group II flats (.050 to .105), not the D’Addarios shown in some of the photos, and it is fantastic.

Included is a really nice custom G&G hardshell case. This is the same company that makes the hard cases for the Fender Custom Shop guitars and basses. It will be packed super-well for shipping.

$650 shipped in the US, PayPal ok.

Front.

2. silverburst

Aug 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Price adjusted...

3. These are standard P bass width/feel?
    Is the neck lacquered?

Thanks!

Dan

4. silverburst

Aug 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hi. The neck is laquered. It has a pretty beefy P-bass feel to the neck.

5. Richard43

Richard43

Nov 2, 2007
    Did this sell?

Richard

6. timsouthouse@ho

timsouthouse@ho

Dec 22, 2007
    Fargo, ND
    If this didn't sell. I'm looking for one of these in a burst.
    I'll take it! Tim in Fargo 701-412-3691 timsouthouse@hotmail.com

7. silverburst

Aug 22, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Sold

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.