FS 93 Black Label MIM P-bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by rstellar13, Aug 23, 2013.

1. rstellar13

rstellar13 Sarcastic Panda

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    Hi thumpers!
    So Im here to sell my pbass
    This bass was upgraded with a vintage metal pick guard, Hipshot detuner, Bartolini hum canceling pickups, all new pots and wires, new knobs, and vintage pickup cover!
    This bass also has big block inlays which look so classy on this bass.
    This bass had scratches and dings but they were patched up at my local guitar shop!
    The neck has been played down to have a nice aged finish without the feel of lacquer
    I even but this from a fellow TB'er, his name is Denny, at least his real name so you can ask him about its legitimacy.
    I am asking 900 with case and CONUS
    Please no lo-balls and some trades considered!
    Here is the real history of the bass:

You might have heard of mexican made Fender guitars with a black headstock decal, sometimes associated with some mystery series Fenders made in Mexico. Since there appears to be a lot of confusion and half-knowledge about these guitars out there, I decided to do some research on my own.

The black label was used by Fender Mexico for a limited time only between 1993 and 1998. It can be found exclusively on the rather short lived mexican “Traditional” series for the Telecaster, Stratocaster and Precision Bass. The regular mexican “Standard” series was available too at the time, but it already featured the same silver-ish logo that is still used for it today. However, between 1993 and 1998, both labels (the black AND the silver-ish one) were used for mexican made Fender guitars, but for (slightly) different guitars.

The guitars with the black label consisted of overstock USA american made Fender necks, electronics and bodies. The parts were shipped to Mexico for assembly. The guitars ended up on the american and european market for just about as much as a guitar from the regular “Standard” series made in Japan or US would cost at the time.

Some (not all!) of the guitars were sold for a few bucks less as they came with 1-ply pickguards and hardware of slightly lesser quality . Most guitars and basses with the black label featured tuners and bridges of very good quality as well as 3-ply pickguards and excellent sounding pickups and electronics.
    The “Traditional Series” Stratocaster can be considered the slightly better. At the end of the day however, there really is not that much difference between the two. The most significant difference can be found on the Telecaster. The Telecaster from the “Traditional Series” had the traditional through-body stringing, while the Telecasters from there were Top Loaders with different bridges, saddles and no string holes in the back.

The guitars from that very series are official and genuine Fender guitars like any mexican made Fender guitar regardless, and if you have a mexican made Fender Telecaster, Stratocaster or Precision Bass with a black label and a serial number beginning with MN3, MN4, MN5, MN6, MN7 or MN8, you have a genuine top quality Fender guitar, usually of considerably better quality than standard later MIM models.

Tom Rhoads Sr, Editor

Attached Files:

2. rstellar13

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    More pics, come on guys this is pretty sick bass!
    Bumppp

Attached Files:

3. rstellar13

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    Sunday bump!
    Comes with Case!

4. rstellar13

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    bumpppp

5. rstellar13

Sep 2, 2012
    Allentown, PA
    Trade in progress!

6. Allbruce34

Allbruce34

Aug 17, 2014
    I'm Looking at a similar bass, but this one says "Made in the USA".
    Do you know anything about the made in the USA ?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021