1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Genuine Honduras mahogany oversize neck blanks

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by james condino, Aug 6, 2017.

1. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Price:
    $160
    I recently acquired a barn find of giant true genuine Honduras mahogany beams that have been air drying for 20+ years. 25 years ago North Carolina was one of the leading furniture building places in the world and there are still a lot of great finds like this. NOT African "mahogany" or kaya or any of the other not really mahogany but still soft brown tropical woods that are being sold these days. This is true genuine Honduras mahogany- the same material used in the iconic instruments of the 20th century golden age. They were too large to ship so after taking what I need I decided to pass on the rest and milled them up into VERY oversize neck blanks. It always drives me nuts when I order from other sources and they try to skimp out on every possible corner and send the absolute bare minimum to get the job done. When I mill wood, I always try to go the other end and make sure there is plenty of room for what I intend and then have extra. Take a good look at the photos.

Most of the other web sources cut their neck blanks at 23" long x 4" x 3", for a total yield of 276 cubic inches that will generally produce only one single piece neck blank and some scrap. Stew Mac and others sell those for approximately $120 each. These were cut to 4- 4 1/2" x 5" x 30-31" (varies) with a total minimum yield of 600 cubic inches so that you can cut two single piece acoustic guitar necks with no need for wings or add ons PLUS plenty of extra for both blocks or another multiple piece neck. That is over 200% of what the other folks are selling for about $50 more. I have two size lengths of my blanks available- 10 approx. 30-31" long and only 5 at 35"+ ( over 700+ cubic inches!!!!). These are priced very fair to sell fast at $160 per blank; add $25 for the longer ones.I also have a few that are not perfect from a few small defects that I can offer for a discounted price as a bonus when you order some of these. Due to their size and weight and the fact that I seem to get a lot of buyers on the other side of the country in the Pacific Northwest, shipping packaging and handling is $20 per piece. Multiple orders will still be shipped as individual units as they get to heavy in quantity.

Plenty of room and wood to arrange the cut to whatever specs you need. Keep in mind that regardless of the materials you use, there is no substitute for skill as a luthier. I sell materials all over the world, always for fair prices and with an honest intent. In the past I have seen very nice boards returned by novice builders because they did not look like something they read on an internet forum or in a book and later another more experienced builder specifically chose that "rejected" piece to build and sell a $6000 instrument. I encourage everyone to stop by the shop and select locally. You'll get an eyefull of wood and valuable shop time with someone who has built over 350 instruments since 1980.

I also have very old cocobolo logs (!!!!!!) from the same source that I can mill up to your needs; getting to be unobtainable. I also have some GIANT upright bass tops in 100 year old sitka spruce and amazing European spruce- contact me for what you are looking for.
    Lower 48 US shipping only; sorry but no international shipping on this anymore.
    Take a good look at the photos, check out my feedback, ask a lot of questions, and be a generally well informed consumer. These won't last long and I don't know when I'll have any more available for sale. 'Apologies for any typo or computer errors.Thanks for looking and good luck.
    j.

2. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    DSCN3696.JPG DSCN3700.JPG DSCN3709.JPG DSCN3714.JPG

moonshinegtrs, mcmon002 and Burwabit like this.
  3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021