SOLD Ken Smith BSR 5 $2300 REDUCED!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Flipper, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Price:
    Strings:
    Trying to cull the herd a bit.

Super nice '99 BSR 5, JJ (V, P, T, M, B), 9v preamp, walnut on maple with headstock overlay, 3 piece neck, pau ferro board. My scale says 9.2. Spacing is typical Smith(18mm?)
    Sounds huge! Does everything a Smith is supposed to do! I didn't get a case with it. I will try to find something that fits it.
    No international sale. Not into trades, but you never know... If it's not a 5 or longer than 34" don't bother. Maybe a Pedulla MVP to go with my Penta? IMG_2198.JPG IMG_2199.JPG IMG_2200.JPG IMG_2201.JPG IMG_2202.JPG IMG_2203.JPG

Thanks for looking!

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    It is a BSR5JMW. I had one years ago and it was my favorite out of several Smith basses that passed through my collection.

Flipper likes this.
  3. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    It's my second one. I love it, I just can't justify keeping it right now. I know I'll have another!

4. Erik Turkman

Erik Turkman Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    Just curious, what kind of pickups are these? Single coil, split or stacked humbuckers? If you have had the chance to compare, how would you describe the sound as compared to a similar BSR with the KS soapbars?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    They're are stock Jazz type single coils. To me they sound very aggressive, very sharp and focused. I can get it to cut through the mix just by ramping up my attack. Yet it sits nicely in the mix for the Motown thing I've been doing, super versatile! Wish I had some clips. Haven't done a side by side with soaps. I imagine they would be equally usable, just different. Fwiw, I only ever noticed hum with the treble up, even then it was more of a hiss and didn't affect tone or the mix.

6. Erik Turkman

Erik Turkman Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2004
    Washington, DC area
    Thanks for this extra info.

Flipper likes this.
  7. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Was just informed these are dual coil pickups. Thanks again Chuck! Certainly explains the lack of hum:)

8. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    On hold.

9. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Bass is available again.

10. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Dropped price to $2600+shipping.

11. Rasbeng

Rasbeng

Jul 26, 2012
    Chicago, Il
    Endorsing Artist: (BagEnd,Eden) previous, (Schroeder cabs) current
    I think I used to own this one! Great player that does the Smith, Jazz, and surprisingly a very good P bass tone as well! GLWTS

12. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Just put on evilBay. Would SOOOOOO much rather sell here!! $2500 + 100 shipping in conus, no international.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  13. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    $2300.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
    Spray Bass likes this.
  14. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    $2300.

15. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    I'm in a dealin kind of mood...for a few hours anyway... if you're on the fence, pm me.

16. Flipper

Flipper

Jan 11, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    Sold on eBay.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021