Let's spread some musical misinformation

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Sep 26, 2013.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Note, all that King Crimson polyrhythmic stuff of the 1980s was actually written by Fripp and Belew in the 1970s when the practice was still in force. In this case they both wanted their 3 shillings fourpence and four shillings fourpence each, so just wrote it in both time signatures at once, costing a covering band 7 shillings and eightpence, split to Fripp and Belew. Unfortunately, decimilisation and complex transatlantic trade agreements meant that Belew was required to sue himself and leave King Crimson, and Fripp had to sue Belew, the Pope and the Dalai Lama.

2. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Impedance refers to how much of an impediment a band member is to getting to the gig and getting set up and through the sound check. Generally drummers have the highest impedance other than some singers.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    As a result John Paul II hated King Crimson, but Pope Francis is a great fan and has suggested adding cigarettes and ice cream to the usual figurines of the Virgin Mary to the offerings at the Vatican gift shop. The Dalai Lama appreciates Fripp's contributions to promoting Buddhism and it offsets the £1 million he lost fighting him in the High Court.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  4. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Should be 1.5, even in the UK. :smug:

5. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014

Drones can be of great benefit, in practice and performance. Don't use the cheap ones as they are liable to crash and you can take an eye out with a poorly deployed, budget drone. The best drone for metal is the killer drone. Goes without saying. Overkill, for all other forms of music. Just get the best you can afford, in a key that suits your range.

Mr_Moo and Jay2U like this.
  6. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    That's not Elvis on the radio- it's actually one of a new wave of popular imitators that are
    taking over the music world like a Tsunami.
    :cool:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  7. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014

The faster you play, the more money you make. Double the time. Double the dime.​

Mr_Moo and Winslow like this.
  8. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Pownal, ME
    Guitarists back in the day were paid by the note. In fact, the term "guitar solo" actually came from these contracts as the guitarist (trying to make a living) had to play lots of notes because his per-note rate was "so low".

EDIT: That's why bass solos are so rare. Bass players were so in demand they got paid a better "per song" rate rate.

Mr_Moo, Jay2U and PillO like this.
  9. That's nothing. Not only do I get paid not to play I can make double the rate if when I get paid to stop playing.

Mr_Moo, Shannon, Jay2U and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    This happens when drummers get paid by the beat.

11. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive

Apr 23, 2014

^ This performance single-handedly caused the GFC.​

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  12. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Great Funky Chicken?

Mr_Moo and Winslow like this.
  13. Jay2U

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Main competitor of KFC.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    There are many pedals which move a note an octave up or down. But there's one manufacturer working on a pedal which will move a note an octave sideways, in either direction.

Mr_Moo, datasmog, Shannon and 2 others like this.
  15. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    When you are south of the equator, you can play a left-handed bass right-handed without flipping it over.

16. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    The place: Dublin.
    The time: 1977.
    Bono, The Edge, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen, Jr. are having a meeting to decide on a band name.

Bono: "The Holy Evangelists."
    The Edge: "No, I don't think so."
    Mullen: "The Irish Rovers."
    Bono: "Already been done."
    Clayton: "I've got it! The Root Pounders!"
    The Edge: "???"
    Bono: "How about... U2?"
    The Edge: [smiling] "Bono, I think you won."
    Bono: "No, U2."
    The Edge: "Yes, U2. You won."
    Bono: "Well, which is it? U2 or U1?
    The Edge: You won, buddy! I said I like U2!"
    Bono: "U1?"
    The Edge: "No... YOU won!"
    Bono: "That's what I SAID!"
    The Edge: I thought you said U2..."

etc., etc., etc.

And that's how they got their name.
    (With apologies to Abbott and Costello.)

17. Well technically, the earth already flipped it for you. If you were to flip it you would be undoing what the earth has done for you...

If and only if you believe the big lie - that the earth is not flat!
    kmwJGPUcYkqVEDchNDfLJj-1200-80.jpg

Shannon likes this.
  18. I thought they were originally called "Smug and Arrogant"

Mr_Moo and 1bassleft like this.
  19. ^
    They WANTED to call themselves "SMUG & ARROGANT", but the name was really only on the table as a name-change when the band broke the threshold of earning more than US$6,000/minute; Alas, their own management team voted the band's new name down as it would incur costly rebranding and hinder further revenue escalation — the official statement by the band's management to the band indicated that no name change was needed as they may not have been smug and arrogant long upon establishing themselves as a band, but quickly became such long before earnings confirmed their position and it was already common knowledge.

PORTAMENTO was originally not a musical term, but rather Italian slang for drifters who travelled around, subsisting off of revenue from stuffing the pimento into olives, "portomento". The term was adopted by Italian music teachers to describe indecisive note choices by students and with that semantic shift it also acquired its new spelling through lazy music students who were also lazy in spelling but went on to become music and language educators themselves.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  20. Shannon

Shannon

Sep 17, 2016
    in back.
    The flat earth theory has supporters in every corner of the globe. :cool:

Mr_Moo, dougjwray and TH63 like this.