1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Maxon OD-9 Overdrive - AnalogMan True Vintage Mod

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by Charley Umbria, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    Price:
    $185.00
    Here's something you won't find anywhere else! This is a new-in-box Maxon OD-9 Tube Screamer overdrive, which has been upgraded with AnalogMan's True Vintage mod. This mod is the closest you can get to an original, vintage Ibanez TS-808, but with true bypass switching and the reliability of a modern pedal.

From AnalogMan's website: "The TRUE VINTAGE mod is a fun mod, like putting original PAF's into a '59 reissue Les Paul (but a lot cheaper!!). To do this, we use a new Old Stock (NOS) actual early 1980s JRC4558D IC chip of the exact type used in an old TS-808. [...] We also install a bunch of original style capacitors, replacing the cheap little capacitors that are now used.

Also important to this mod are the CLIPPING DIODES- we found some of the original blue striped TS-808 diodes and install them. These special diodes, along with the chip and capacitors, make the ultimate vintage TS-808 replica!! Not quite as clear as our SILVER MOD but the tone is true vintage TS-808, nice and WARM and smooth."

Analog Mike typically doesn't do the True Vintage mod on Maxon pedals, but I wanted a true bypass Tube Screamer, so I special-ordered two of these pedals directly from AnalogMan, intending to keep one as a backup. However, I ended up never needing the second one, so off it goes. Like most Tube Screamers, this one is pretty mid-focused. It works great with an external blend pedal, but also sounds plenty full on its own. In addition to the True Vintage mod, this OD-9 also has an upgraded red LED.

$185.00 shipped CONUS. I prefer PayPal; but if you're close to Nashville, TN, I'm willing to meet you and offer a cash discount. Please PM with any questions.

i-73KK7MH-XL.

i-QqqNzjD-L.

i-VzBgkLJ-L.

2. jmp2203

jmp2203

Mar 8, 2013
    which chip was used? JRC4558D or TL4558P?

3. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    To the best of my knowledge, it's the JRC4558D, but I've never opened up the pedal to verify this. I ordered the pedal in August of 2010, and the AnalogMan website says that they were using the JRC until 2017.