1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Rare American Standard Plywood Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Matt Quinones, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Matt Quinones

Matt Quinones Supporting Member

May 1, 2018
    Price:
    Strings:
    *Price Reduction*

Extremely Rare American Standard in very good condition. It’s a shame to let this one go but I bought too many basses last year and I need to clear space and refill my bank account!

This bass sounds and plays beautifully. It has a clear, focused sound. Each note seems to spring right off the fingerboard. It’s really a joy to play. Perfectly set up for bluegrass, strung with D’Addario Zyex strings, which can be changed out for spirocore weichs if you prefer.

All American Standards are rare, but this one is a little different, making it something of a his is a collectors item in that it has a pre-war body, of the “cut-label” style, which itself was only in production from about 1940-1941, and it has E209B183-46F6-4223-812E-31D2BB1F06CE.jpeg a 1955 serial number (1858), suggesting it was begun before the war, shelved in the interim, then completed when H.N. White Co. resumed production of their upright basses.

As you can see it is a beautiful instrument. It has a commanding presence, both on stage and off stage. Yet it is surprisingly lightweight and easy to move.

The Fishman Full Circle pickup is included.

Attached Files:

2. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I think this serial places it earlier than 1955. But I could be wrong.

3. Matt Quinones

Matt Quinones Supporting Member

May 1, 2018
    In doing some more research, the 1858 serial number dates this bass at 1953