Sub rotation doesn't want to end!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Aug 4, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I got a weekly gig for 12 Saturdays at a bar next to a fancy hotel - July through September, which means vacation season. It looks like it'll be week 7 before we play with the same lineup twice in a row. Hopefully. Maybe.

Week 1 guitarist/signer announces he doesn't want to play there. So, week 2 we get a sub guitarist who should be available until week 9 but doesn't really want to play with us long-term. Weeks 3-7 our lead singer is in Cuba, so week 3 is the sub guitarist and sub singer. Then our cajonist heads somewhere in the Balkans weeks 4-5. Week 4 (today) was me, sub guitarist, sub singer and sub cajonist.

Then after the gig the sub singer tells me she forgot that she'll be gone next Saturday. That's not cool. She offered to get us another sub, since she gives voice lessons and knows plenty of singers, but I really don't want to teach another singer all these songs, so I just told her to instead set me up on a date with one of her students who's supposedly a lousy singer but is gorgeous. So, week 5 we'll probably just do songs the sub guitarist can sing... not sure yet. Week 6 our regular cajonist and the sub singer are back, so it'll be the week 3 lineup again.

Finally, in week 7 we should have the same lineup as in week 6, barring unforeseen whatever. Then 8 and 9 should be the week 2 lineup again, and 10-12 our sub guitarist will be in Italy so we'll need to do something else... might get the sub singer to play keys (and try to talk her into joining us permanently) and let our singer play guitar on half the songs or whatever.

I guess this is not that unusual for cover bands, but 2/3 of our songs are in languages few people in this country speak, and we already had to temporarily drop everything in Portuguese except "Ai se eu te pego"... that makes getting subs more annoying.

But maybe the real question is, why always me playing every week while everybody else gets to rotate in and out?

[​IMG]

Well, I do occasionally have that same hairstyle, so maybe that's why always me.

2. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Maybe you're the only one without a life? :D
    Or you really need the money.....
    Or you really crave the attention....
    Or the most dedicated to your craft. That's it...;)

I've been in that situation too. I did a a string of acoustic gigs, and I had a different partner each week. Kinda made things interesting for me. Just have fun with who-ever is there, and adjust the set list as needed.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    This does not sound like a band to me. But I'm happy that you have a paying gig!

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Ha, sort of. I refuse to take vacation time in August because all the important people in my day job are gone now, so I get some peace and quiet.

5. You are the only one getting paid for all those gigs. I might ask for an extra cut to have to endure the potential train wrecks. Is a cajonist a drummer or does he just play that wooden box thing..excuse me if my polish is rusty.
    I see a whole new round of jokes ..how do you know when a cajonist is at your door?

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Dude, I play in one of the only steady working bands in Orlando that doesn't do subouts...well, we do sub out trumpet players sometimes, but hey, he's a trumpet player ;)

But I also do subwork and I'm pretty cool with being able to walk into a myriad of situations and being able to handle it. And most bandleaders go 3-4 deep on each instrument because sub work for multiple bands is the only way to make a living in Orlando unless you're the bandleader. And even they hire out multiple bands under their name and take commissions.

But you are going to get paid every gig and they won't, so cause for celebration if you ask me. Have a trainwreck or two...can't hear it from your house!

7. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Yeah, a cajon is that wooden box thing... seems much more common in Poland than in the US. With this band we either do cajon and DB or electronic drums and BG, depending on how dance-oriented the gig is.

It does seem to be just the way working bands operate sometimes, especially during summer vacation. But getting a 12-week run and not being able to field the same lineup twice in a row until week 7 is kinda funny.

No complete trainwrecks yet, but I did end up having to pretty much sing lead on one song and play DB arco at the same time last week because the singer didn't quite know it yet.

8. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    "Knock, knock..."

"Who's there?"

"Knock-knockety-knock"

"Oh come on in and bring the cajon..."

9. Wow. That sounds fun in some ways but other ways it sounds like a pain in the ass.

10. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Well, our regular singer should be back from Cuba tomorrow. Hopefully she won't be too jetlagged on Saturday.

So, yeah, it's not really getting any less crazy yet, is it?

11. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Update: regular singer came back last night, woke up around 4 PM today, didn't realize it was Saturday until I asked her if she's singing today, and she said she could do it if she really had to, but would rather not if the sub can make it.