The Combo Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ChefKen, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Morrighan

Morrighan la Contessa Gold Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    The good part of this incoming holiday season is for me a good time to play.

In the time when my StingRay is new, it's an open jazz jam session on New Year's Eve that goes to whenever. The host is a cardiac surgeon who loves playing Gene Krupa style drums. And yeah there are holiday function gigs and all of that but fun is fun.

2. Bluzlvr

Bluzlvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Dayton, OH
    I'll join the club! Here's a picture of my Fender V3 500C atop my 210 cab. Pay no attention to the GB Streamliner 600. It's just my backup. ;-)
    Fender Rumble.PNG

JakobT, iagtrplyr, GonePlaid and 3 others like this.
  3. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    My first experence with snow was at boot camp north of Chicago in '64. I was awakened @ 0200 to shovel it. Y'all can keep it.

4. Wow : )

Thank you very much for the warm welcome and the tour. Your mention of the Firebird just sent me into a flashback of the summer of 1983, a great summer for my friends and I.

As soon as I pull out of this flashback, I will look through the garage for some stuff to donate to the clubhouse, seems like I have some old Doppola's, strobe lights, and stuff laying around... hey, is the roof strong enough for a 48" disco ball?

Oh, and what's "check first with significant other?"

To play it safe I will hunt down some used 2x4's to add some more bunks.

5. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    But to get your free access to Morrighan's Bass All-Nite Laundromat & Silent Movie Theater Annex, first take the free personality test to find out which character in The Band's The Last Waltz you are. Confidentiality is assured :eek:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  6. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

IKR?

Yeah, your Doppolas would go good with the Leslies & Rovers in The Studio! The lighting would compliment the stuff in The Venue Room! Your 48" will take front & center! We can move the 36" to the back of the room. Strobes & other lights are welcome on the main rack!

How young are you? Girlfriend? Wife? Life partner? Someone you may share income with? Anyone in your life who might have other plans if you decide to drop $1,000 to $2,000 on a new amp or bass? "Guitar Acquisition Syndrome", AKA G.A.S., has caused more divorces than AshleyMadison.com![/QUOTE]

Those 2x4s may be needed in The Venue Room if we're gonna keep both Disco Balls!

iagtrplyr and GonePlaid like this.
  7. Uhhhh...

And yes, this is related to Combo's.

Yeeaaah. I believe that I have a medical condition that... (omg, this is very embarrassing) prevents me from being subjected to quizzes.

I will have to look through the glovebox to find specifics, but I may remember (somewhat clearly) that I am not suppossed to be "tested or relied upon," and quizzes sound much like tests. I am deemed handicapped due having played drums from around 1971 thru 1984.

Though I never actually exhibited (nor have I even been accused of) any of the usual signs of being a drummer, it is better for society to just play these things safe.

What saved me from the drums?

The first time I played with a bass player, he strolled in, uninvited, unplanned, with a Vintage Gibson, and a 100 Watt COMBO AMP : )

THE NEXT DAY, I WENT TO THE LOCAL PAWNSHOP, AND BOUGHT A MINT CONDITION BLACK 1972 TELE BASS.

Life has been better ever since.

But I will watch the movie again : )

8. Morrighan

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Call it about 1980, because everyone else I know in 1980 agrees it's 1980. To say otherwise and people be lookin' at you funny. Well, more than usual.

And everywhere I look there is really nice gear. Some really nice gear. My gear, on the other hand, is what I can afford. That happens to be a Peavey TNT 100. And it goes in the back of my poormobile. Over and over and over. There's always the guys to help me load in and load out, but once home it may or may not be possible to pull that thing out of the car.

There is the weight, there's that, but it's also big. Single carry handle on top, if I recall correctly. Like that's going to happen.

The guy I'm living with offers me a cab he built. What. A. Monster. He knows what the road does to equipment and built the cab to withstand anything. It's massive. Big ported 15. BIG.

Thinking if my Peavey can drive the cab, it'll be a way tall rig just like the guys I know who play through real rigs. What is this with ohms and stuff? The combo has a speaker out, so I plug in and have a real good time. Except when it comes time to load in and load out, because the two of them weigh about as much as, never mind, you know.

That Peavey was "my sound" and yes that thing did get properly loud. And it's with some mixture of fondness and loathing I think about that rig. Unlikely I'll ever be able to properly duplicate that sound of a Ray and Rotos through that rig.

Once a combo head ....

iagtrplyr, G-Dog and GonePlaid like this.
  9. DanGR

DanGR

Jan 2, 2012
    Grand Rapids MI
    Thank you very much! This is my first club membership! Technology is great! I'm an old SWR fan, owned many of their amps and cabs. Great sound, but this Fearless cuts through "stage fog" like no other. Looking forward to seeing what others are using and liking. P.S. I just bought an Ibanez Promethean P3110 for smaller gigs and practice. I'll report back when it has a couple of gigs under it's belt. Also, may I suggest a Lava lamp for the clubhouse? They're just so fun to stare at...

10. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Pownal, ME
    Great Lakes? I'm an alumni of that "school"...:cool:

Morrighan, iagtrplyr and GonePlaid like this.
  11. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Yeah. Camps Moffett, Porter and whatever the third one was. (it was '64-I'm lucky to know those 2). I'm a native Miamian. I got there on the morning of Dec. 1st. and left in mid Feb. I froze my tookus there. Have no desire to ever see snow in person again!<EDIT> After doing a little research, I think the 3rd camp was Barry.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  12. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Trust me, folks, you want to visit this place. There's a great bass guitarist in place of the organist jamming along with the silent movies, and the detergent at the laundromat worked on my collars better than anything I've ever tried before. BTW, my test results showed I was a young Lawrence Ferlinghetti. Probably being Italian myself, I'm guessing. Psst, hold out for the "Birth of a Nation/Metropolis" double feature on Sunday nights...large-tub washers are half-priced!

13. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Word.

G-Dog and GonePlaid like this.
  14. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    1) Yes, keep us posted on your Promethean findings. Have always thought those were intriguing amps, though I've never seriously considered purchasing one.

2) We'll add the lamps if they're free (low budget), but I thought someone got sick once staring at a lava lamp for too long. Soul Reflection maybe? Ah, don't worry about it, bring the lamp in but use the back door...

Morrighan, DanGR and GonePlaid like this.
  15. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    Hey there, lvr of the bluz! Welcome to what has to be the hottest club in TB. You're our third new recruit this week alone. Please tell your friends about us. We're a fun-loving, bass-loving, life-loving group of amp fanatics who haven't one bad word to say about anyone (that's because politics, religion, and polyester clothing design are strictly off-limits). There are quite a few Rumble aficionados here so I'm sure you'll feel right at home. So by the power vested in me from the Canadian Restaurant Tablecloth manufacturers (CRT), I hereby pronounce you our 110th member. Congratulations!

16. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    What was in that drink :vomit::vomit::vomit:?

17. Bluzlvr

Bluzlvr

Aug 8, 2012
    Dayton, OH
    Why thanks for the welcome gtr plyr. I already feel at home.

18. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Do we need to send out a search party for @Giffro? Sent him a PM awhile ago with no answer. I am concerned :nailbiting:.

19. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

@Giffro was last seen on TB on September 1st this year, explaining his forthcoming internet upgrade:

The Combo Club

He did say something about a "stuff-up" going on.

20. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I saw the same thing. Without knowing the definition of "stuff-up", after 2.5 months, without internet access, I would be Pi$$ed. Hope all is well down there;).