Why do bassists tend to be heftier fellows?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MJMB, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Because people don't choose to be black or gay... but they can always lose weight. Kind of ridiculous to compare what someone was born with to a condition that can be remedied by not eating McDonald's.

2. Jarrett

Jarrett

Jan 19, 2004
    NBTX
    My guitar buddy says you can't count as a bass player unless you are fat or black :D

I fall into the former category :)

3. I'll be your backup. All 5'10" 155lb of me.

4. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg Guest

Oct 12, 2012
    Phoenix
    I'm 7' 1" 350 lbs. No wait, that's Shaq. Nevermind.

5. Random bassist sample lot:
    Chris Chaney
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393369481.450346.jpg

Chis Chew
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1393369517.190785.jpg

Attached Files:

6. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Washington DC
    Not one thing you said is true.

7. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

I know, right? Being that wrong has to be uncomfortable.

8. I think bass players SHOULD be fat. It's gotta help those notes sustain, right? Just like tone woods! Oh, wait, did I just start something else? ;)

Seriously, though, I think it's just a mis-perpception, but one that I certainly don't help!

9. Major Softie

Major Softie Guest

Sep 23, 2011
    South Lake Tahoe, CA
    Actually, his first sentence is correct, but in the second sentence,he has confused the "Overweight or Obese" category with "Obese." According to the Food and Research Action Center, 66% of U.S. adults are overweight or obese. SO, his "most people in this country are fat" statement is, in fact, what the data shows, and his "Most people who do anything (except Yoga) are hefty" statement is at least arguable. After all, if most people are fat, then most people who do the things that people do are, by necessity, fat. Obviously there will, however, be exceptions. It would be the rare marathon that would have a majority of contestants in the overweight category.

http://frac.org/initiatives/hunger-and-obesity/obesity-in-the-us/

10. Wow, really? So all overweight people are that way because their love of twinkles and it's their choice to be that way. Please Einstein enlighten me on your data to support your statement.
    Or is it something you just said because you wanted to make a poor attempt at being witty?
    Or do you truly believe your horrible stereotypical statement?

I stand by my earlier post.

Stupid topic. Stupid thread.

11. deathsdj

deathsdj

Sep 18, 2010
    Wichita, KS
    Pickles and mustard.

Hence the Humor section right?

LUF

12. 1960jbass

1960jbass

Mar 28, 2013
    Berwick, PA
    In the early 70's John Entwistle was on the hefty side and does anyone remember Paul Goddard from Atlanta Rhythm Section?? He was not a small fellow. Me I'm 6'4" and 300lbs. P basses look small on me.

13. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Desert, Colorado
    Fixed it for ya

14. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Some people didn't choose to be fat and they can't lose weight--there are certain medical conditions that affect that--I am not one of those people, but they are out there.

15. adi77

adi77 Inactive

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    thats a myth.. i'm 6' i weigh 74 Kg and BTW what a really Fkall thread

16. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This is true and for more reasons than one may imagine. Obesity is a product of propensities (including heredity), concomitant health issues, poor dietary choices, and diminished activity.

Just a sidenote: I've encountered more than a handful of folks who have "out eaten" their gastric reductions / bariatric surgeries.

Riis

17. MTBK

MTBK Guest

Sep 11, 2013
    My rig pedal board and bass combined, not including travel cases, probably weighs more than I do.

18. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I lost 9 lbs last night at practice.. I put my bass down.:bassist:

19. I live in montreal, canada. BAss player 6'1" - almost 180 but i dont have bulk...yet :D i look extreme skinny.

20. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    You know what's really "Fkall"? People mixing imperial and metric measurements. :smug:

[smartass]

For the metrically challenged:
    1" = 2,54cm
    1lb = 0,45kg

[/smartass]