Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1/4 to xlr converters

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Apr 7, 2005.

1. so I've been trying to get my sound good. my drummer (ever since we started using good mics and xlr wires) sounds better and louder. my amp only has a 1/4 line out input. will i still get good quality if i stick a converter in there and then hook an xlr up to that and the mixer? i want my sound to be able to expand

2. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    1/4 line out input? I know what you mean just razzin' yah. It'll make a difference, but I would buy a DI box before I would do that though. The last thing you want to do is degrade signal with an adapter if you want good recording. "Buy the right cable for the job" is what my grandpa always says. Budget? There are a lot of good direct boxes out there relatively cheap.

3. well, we record everything live (at the same time), so i'm just concerned about everything being clear. i thought that even if i do have a converter between everything i'll be able to raise my volume and not have to worry about the tone suffering so much.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    You can still use a direct box and record as you have stated. It's done everyday around the world. Here is a dia.

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Adding an adapter will muddy things more than going XLR will clean them, in my expirience. Get a decent DI with an XLR out.

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    So your amp has a 1/4" out. Adapting that to an XLR is not going to do a damn thing, its still the same signal, in fact it may be worse because then you will be feeding a line level signal into a mic preamp. Of coarse you are probobly feeding a Mackie or something which you can trim the gain down for line level, but I think there is a better way.

I am also going to recomend a DI. Get yourself a DI and stick it in between bass and amp (after effects if you have them). If don't know how a DI works its simple. It takes your unbalanced Hi-Z (impedence) signal (from bass) and converts it to low impedence balanced (XLR) mic signal. It also passes your Hi-Z signal through so you can still run your amp. Now you take an XLR cable and run it from the DI to your mixer or whatever XLR input you are using. Now set your levels and record. The downside of this is that you will not be getting the sound of your amp, for most people with crap ass amps this is a good thing. If you are absolutely in love with the sound coming out of your cab, then buy a mic and mic it. Either way you will probobly be better than using the 1/4 inch out on your amp, those little add on's hardly ever sound great.

Of course always remember "Garbage in, garbage out".

Oh, and if everyone lived by "The right cable for the right job the world would sound a lot better".

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Guess we all posted at the same time.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You want a Countryman Type 85 DI, and you want it form Northern Sound and Light. Best DI made, 1,000% bullet-proof, and crystal clear sound. NSL has the cheapest price in entire world.

Countryman Type 85 at NSL

[​IMG]

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    +1, That is a good price.