1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

10 reasons to hate the guitar player

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MusicMan01, Jul 16, 2008.

1. MusicMan01

MusicMan01

Jun 27, 2008
    1. The guy thinks that by being louder, it sounds better.
    2. The guy doesn't understand the words "please turn it down"
    3. The guy doesn't understand the words "i got a headache, let's turn it down"
    4. The guy doesn't want to wear ear plugs cause he says he doesn't hear himself
    5. The guy agrees to wear ear plugs and then he turns it up higher
    6. The guy tries to be a smart ass by saying..."oh so you are bringing your squier?". But then he doesn't know how to use all the pedals that he always brings. Yes I have a cheaper version but at least I know how to use it.
    7. I have to translate him all the notes to frets, or just show him "right here last string on 5th fret"
    8. If the song doesn't have a tab he doesn't want to play it.
    9. He only cares how he plays, even if the drummer is off-beat
    10. He refuses to improv a solo cause they don't play it in the song. Maybe he should be honest and say "I am not that good"

Wish list:
    - New guitar player
    - Double neck guitar, half bass, half guitar

Do you have your hate reasons?

2. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I can't stand it when guitar players noodle constantly.
    When my band is working on an original piece of music, and we are all figuring out what part each person is gonna play, sometimes the guitar player is soloing and noodling for the entire song. Its so irritating. Figure out your parts and stick to 'em.

3. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Oh yeah, I've been there, especially with my old guitarist.

"7. I have to translate him all the notes to frets, or just show him "right here last string on 5th fret"

It's actually my guitarist that has to put up with me in this one. :oops:

4. more like 10 reasons to hate any bad band member

5. technetium

technetium

May 29, 2008
    New Jersey
    That sounds pretty rough to deal with.

I actually got lucky, in that I started jamming with a new group of people last week and we meshed pretty well.

Our singer happens to be a sound/video tech in her other life, so we let her handle the levels and they ended up right on target.

Good luck with that guitar player, you're gonna need it.

6. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd have walked out after reason number 2.

It sounds like you're not having any fun and you can't make good music if it isn't fun IMHO.

7. Why are you wasting time and effort on this loser? He obviously is just a hack, who will never take it seriously or make an honest effort to learn. Kick him to the curb, guitarists are a dime a dozen.

8. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Ooh that's annoying. We have a guitarist who loses himself in his noodles (insert chinese food joke here) when we're sorting arrangements out and then doesn't realise we're ready to start playing again unless we shout at him or just go quiet and stare.:scowl:

I know we all noodle occasionally, but there is such a thing as a volume control.

9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    That depends, is he tube or SS?

You could always turn it down for him, if not, get some earplugs or give him "time out" in the corner.

Well it's his hearing, not yours at least.

Get him a set of in ear monitors and crank 'em

Ignorance is bliss

Sounds like he needs a "sink of swim" situation put some heat on his arse, some times (if you do it enough) he'll try to get up to speed. You could always give him a cd,tell him the band needs to have the songs down by next practice and follow through.

No hate, musicians such as these usually don't last but one practice and they're gone.

10. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    sounds to me like your guitarist is an absolute beginner? my complaint about guitarists is, well yeah, theyre usually a bit loud. but thats mostly because their amps allow them to be, as does the nature of human hearing. only other complaint is that they tend to be mostly into just rock music, its hard to find good jazz or funk players (that dont also want to get me to play gratefull dead songs.)

11. yup, i have to agree on these. i just dont get it, why so loud your eardrums burst? and really, is it that hard to know your theory/notes?

also, during soundchecking from another instrument they'd (the guitarists i played with) be noodling. it's not really that hard to be quiet for 3 minutes, then you can go all out...

12. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I hate it when anyone in the band is noodling. You can practice at home. Even if the guys are talking about girls, it's plain rude to be imposing yourself over the conversation.

Perhaps it's one of the nice things about being older: I haven't had to deal with bad musicians in years. The crappy ones have quit. Thus, you won't hear me talking about "gui****s". My guitarists are among my best friends.

I agree with the posts that are saying "if you can't work with him you can always quit". Life is short. My favorite bands have been the ones where we got together because we were friends first. If a band isn't a good hang, it isn't going to be a good band in my experience.

KO

13. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I noodle while I'm talking to the guys sometimes, but I cut my volume off.

14. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I had a guitar player once that said,"that has to be the right key,because it's on the fret markers". He'd been playing over 30 years.And not very well.

15. We noodle all the time. It's how we write.

16. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    #9 and #1 are my pet peeves

17. I love my guitar player(s). :)
    Ha ha on you, hater. :D

18. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    When it comes to my current guitar player (the lead one, the rhythm player is surprisingly good about knowing where she needs to be in the mix) I can relate to the volume issues, but other than that I'm lucky in the fact that he's a very capable musician.

But honestly, when even the drummer says, "Dude, we HAVE to turn down, I can't keep cracking my cymbals like this to keep up with you..." you should take the hint that you might just be playing a bit too loud...

19. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I hate guitarists who are like "man, I dunno what I'm playing man just listen to it." Like I should be able to transcribe their ridiculously fast line in the next 30 seconds in order play with them....I've learned to remedy this by starting the jam myself.

I also hate the ones who I ask for a chord progression and then either turn toward me and expect me to know what their bunched up guitar fingerings are. Or say something like A E and D instead of 2 bars of Aminor an E7 ext... I also hate it when they play a line slow once through, you get it and then they speed it up again immediately, come on man I need to some time for the progression/line to sink in.

20. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    I played with a guitarist who was partially deaf...almost completely in one ear, and significantly in the other ear. Image how $%&$-ing loud he was.

Cool guy though.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021