100 photographs that changed the world

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yvon, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA

That 3rd one is disgusting.
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Interesting topic, but I'm afraid that if I post on this one, it'll get moved to TPA.

Nice quote from Charlie Mingus though. :)
  3. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm tempted to buy it to see which ones I remember and which ones I could predict make the list. The ones in the group displayed that I predicted were

• Anne Frank
    • The Birmingham fire hoses (actually I figured that, Rosa Parks on the bus or being fingerprinted, or the dogs attacking marchers)

Some that I think will show up in the 100 are....

• John Kennedy Jr. saluting at his father's funeral
    • Astronauts planting the flag on the moon
    • The Space Shuttle exploding after launch
    • US Relay Team displaying Black Power salute at Mexico City Olympics
    • Hank Aaron tipping his cap as the scoreboard reads "715"
    • The Berlin Wall coming down
    • Nelson Mandela after his election
    • The second plane hitting the second tower

What do you think makes the list?
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

that was taken around bakersfield sometime in the 30s or 40s
  5. The very famous photo of the naked girl screaming in the middle of the road after the bomb.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Joe Rosenthal photo that was the inspiration for the USMC Memorial.

The real blurry Robert Capa photo of GIs hiding behind the steel barricades on Omaha Beach in Normandy on June 6 1944.
  7. The 1989 photo of the person facing the tank in Tiananmen Square.
  8. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I've seen this one before... i think very intresting one indeed...

"One Week's Dead May 28 * June 3, 1969"
  9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, I'll jump into the fray here, and let's see what happens. :D

(I had another good one, with a negro slave after forty lashes, but I can't seem to get my L-View working on this particular machine at the moment - however, here's a link) -

This is something very different from someone laying flowers in front of a tank in Tiananmen - IMO.

The question is pretty obvious here - the "top-down" direction that comes from ideologues and perverts.

:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Attached Files:

10. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Now if this didn't change the world for the good, I don't know what would have..

11. No, it's not (to me). What are you saying?

12. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    "100 photographs that changed the world "

I think the term 'changed' is perhaps a bit misleading. Maybe 'documented' would be better?
  13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    another vote for " :confused: "
  14. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    as far as I'm aware, he was commenting on the picture of the burning corpse: the camera angle used is a high one, suggesting that it's been taken by someone standing near by - not necessarily the people responsable for setting the guy alight, but certainly not the guy to act and put out the flames/call help.
  15. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hey nonsqtr, is that the same picture as the one on the cover of Rage Against the Machine's first CD?
  16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I think some of these photographs did change the world. Seeing a photograph of african americans getting sprayed with a firehose, the hate in people's eyes as a girl tries to walk into class, bodies strewn on the sidewalk after jumping from a building that was on fire and had no proper exits, IMO, if I had seen those for the first time during when they happened, they'd make me think alittle differently about how people are treated in this country, and I'm sure they did for others.
  17. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Oh yes, definatley. I just thought 'changed' was a bit too strong a word, though i fully agree with your point.

I dunno, I'm a pessimist with little faith in the human race these days. sad, i know :(
  18. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1. Especially with that picture of the girl walking to class, looking at the people yelling at that one girl behind her shooting daggers at her with her eyes, it makes me a bit ashamed. The fact that we can't just live as one, let others live their lives and go about our own and just coexist peacefully boggles my mind.
  19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nope [​IMG]

Maybe it's the same guy, but not the same picture.