100w. amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FooBass, Feb 22, 2005.

1. FooBass

Aug 25, 2004
    What is the best 100w. amp I could get for around $400?
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    What kind of amp? Tube amp? Solid state? What are you looking for?

There are some pretty good "combos" for around that price, if you're willing to deal with an unwieldy amp that's difficult to more from one place to another.

On the other hand, it might be worth it. Just today I played through a Pignose B-100V for a while, that's a great little amp for the money.

For solid state, I'd probably check out Peavey and the like, they're one of the most cost effective solutions out there, they're solid and reliable, and you can find them for very reasonable prices, on eBay and so on.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Workingman's stuff, but it is solid gear for the money and Musician's Friend is blowing it out right now at CRAZY prices. For about $400, you could get a pretty nice starter rig...

SWR Workingman's 2004 head (closeout $199) + Workingman's 2x10 cab (closeout $219)
    Head - SWR Head
    Cab - SWR Cab
  4. I've never been around any SWR stuff and thought it was suposed to be pretty good gear, but reading those reviews (The post above) on gc for those particular products I would run the other way........
  5. Quadzilla

SWR stuff is nice generally speaking, but the Workingman's line is their "value" series stuff and is not quite up to par with the pro stuff. I actually had an old Workingman's 300 (mid to late 90's) head recently and it was pretty damn good. Not sure how the newer stuff compares to the old. I just thought it was a lot of gear for his $400...
  6. bass4820

Jan 3, 2005
    the hartke kickback 12 or 15 would be a good option, i have one that has been solid for about 6 years now.
    I don't know if the newer hartkes have the same quality like the older ones do. but check it out, its in your price range, (120watts, 12" or 15" speaker)
  7. Yes....Youre right..it's just lower end stuff....I think alot of companies are manufacturing these items to cater to the starting out bassist which actually is pretty cool as long as the buyer is made aware of their limitations ( ya right!) :) anyway research everything and talk to people here and I know it's hard to be patient when getting or upgrading a rig but it is so worth it in the long run!
  8. I also have the "kickback 15" as a backup or for small gigs it's a great alternative......I thought he was looking for amps only not combo's.......(here comes the Hartke bash......bring it on)...........
  9. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    I have an Ampeg B100R, and it served me very well until one of my guitar players got a Blue Voodoo halfstack, and the other got a Marshall. Very good EQ, warm, wonderful sound, plus that bitchin blue checker covering and silver grillclothe. Sounds almost like the old B15s, just not quite as nice. I cant stop recommending this amp.
  10. Quadzilla

Well the cab got great reviews but the head is another story...
  11. Ampeg's B100R is a very good sounding combo, in my experience.
  12. basshag

Oct 17, 2001
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Best "under $400" amp that I've ever had is my '70's Ampeg V4-B. Very loud, incredible tone - one of my favorite amps. Mine was converted to use 6550's, but I imagine that the original tubeset would be almost as loud. I own four different amps (tube and SS), and I will never sell my '71 V4-B. The only downside is that it's rather heavy.
  13. I recently picked up a newer V-4B and it's great. An older one is probably better, but it's definitely a great 100 watt amp. However the cab might push it over your budget.
  14. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Go $50.00 more & your choices are much broader:

You want a great vintage warm & round tone? Get the Ampeg B100R. People on this forum helped me make the decision on that one. A fantastic amp that I'm using for practice amp & possible tracking/recording in the future. Looks awful cool too.

You want fatness with a modern punch if you want it? The Yorkville XM200 - even cheaper used. I have an XS400 head with the matching XC115 cab & it's my main rig. I used to have an old Bassmaster 200 combo that I wish I had kept.
    Yorkville is the best bang for your buck in the world of bass amplification IMHO.
  15. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I'm with the majority on the Ampeg B-100R combo. It'll cost you a bit more than $400 though. If you like the "old school" Ampeg sound that is. If you're more into the modern, hi-fi sound, you'd probably be happy with something else.