Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

112 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigdaddy, Mar 6, 2005.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy

Feb 4, 2005
    texarkana, usa
    I am considering buying a 112 cab for my 700rb-II. I am currently using a peavey black widow 115 and it sounds fine, but I am thinking of adding a 112 to use alone and possibly with the 115. I play jazz on a fretless p bass, sometimes with a pretty loud 20 piece group and lots of trio, quartet gigs. I think I would like the 112 for smaller gigs. I like the 115 for the loud stuff but in quiter settings it is to boomy. Can I get a tighter sound out of the 112 and still have plenty of bottom? I have looking at the Aguilar 112nt and the avatar. Is the price differrence worth it on the aggie? I do a few rock/country gigs a year and thought I could use both. Any suggestions?

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Dude, I have an older 700RB and use it with one or two Avatar CB112s (both are 8 ohms) depending on the gig and venue. I've also used one cab with an old SWR Electric Blue head for my big band gigs and had no problem with volume. They are awesome cabs-- incredible sound and incredible price. Do a search and you'll see what I mean.

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I have a 700RB-II and first generation 700RB, and I have a GK Neo112, which is a good cabinet. You should be able to find other discussions about it (in which I've participated), but I think it would be ideal for mellower gigs with your fretless. The clarity is unbelievable, and the tone remains rock solid at lower volumes. It would really capture the nuances of fretless playing. I think it would be perfect for upright, actually.

At first, I was a little put off by the clarity (very hi-fi), but I think the cabinet warmed up with use, and the more I played it, the more I liked it. At lease one other owner reports a similar experience. I think the clarity will allow it to cut nicely through a dense mix. I'll be trying it in rock band rehearsals soon, so I'll find out.

Also, you'll get to use the bi-amp feature of your head, which I thought might be a gimmick but is pretty cool. I think the cabinet sounds better in bi-amp mode.

Oh, and don't worry about the 300 watt power rating not being able to handle the 320 watts (8 ohms) of your head. I e-mailed GK about it, and they said it was a great match. In fact, GK is coming out with a combo in exactly this configuration.

But I've played the Aguilar GS112 briefly in a store, and I thought it was awesome. Very warm. You certainly wouldn't go wrong there either.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I've played the Avatar SB112, and an Aggie GS112. Take the Avatar.

-Mike

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Would you mind elaborating on that please? I'm curious to why you would think that. Thanks!

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Me too. I'm planning on getting the Avatar 1X12 (maybe a stack of'em eventually) much-due to price - It'd be great to know that it might even be chosen by a price-is-no-object guy!

Joe