1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1153 stack vs DB410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassdrop, Mar 15, 2013.

1. I've scoured the Google-lands for quite some time but cannot seem to determine an efficiency rating for the Trace Elliot 1153 1x15. I'm trying to determine if two 1153s would be more efficient than my existing Aggie DB410. I know that it won't be prettier but I'm trying to see if I can get my rig to have a better polar response, equal or greater loudness, and be able to break down to a 1x15 rig when necessary (the head in question is an Orange AD200). It's either that or waiting and saving for fearful dually build, barefaced super 15 or similar. Thoughts?

2. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Sub'd.

3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Guessing that it might be difficult to get efficiency specs on the Trace. Do you know what driver is in it? How about the Aggy, for that matter?

Generally, a generic 115 x 2 is likely louder than a 410.

If you can swing it, I think you'd (anyone actually) be happier with one of the "super" cabs you mention. Check the TB classified. They're available. Maybe not all the time, but it isn't uncommon to spot them. If you're thinking new, you can add www.LowDownSound.com to your options, too.

4. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    ^What he said about 2 15s generally being louder. Also probably lower. Also more adaptable (use 2 or 1).

Plus, Trace cabs just sound amazing. I love my 1508 and whatever model my weird wedge 2x10 is. I think the Orange head and the 2 Trace 15s would make you pretty happy in a wide range of situations. Would love to get a 1524 myself, but they seem pretty rare.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a pair of those trace cabs stacked "tall" (as opposed to "wide") would kick much booty, not least because of better dispersion and the height of the top cab being closer to your ear.

i run a pair of LDS single 15s very much like these, and it'll beat out a typical 4x10.

6. You won't lack for volume with the Trace pair unless you are playing doom with no PA and stacks of guitar amps. The dispersion from them handily beats the 4x10 but well short of fearful route.

7. The Aggie drivers are some custom Eminence OEMs. The Trace 1153 driver is a Sica. Just Googled them and looks like their ceramic 15" is rated for 98db efficiency. Add 3db for stacking two and that gets me to 101 which is equal to the Aggie's efficiency rating and minus comb filtering and directionality issues, oh yeah and a bunch of weight. I might be pulling the trigger on this. I still may save up for a fearful build in the future, but this deal might be better for the near term.

8. Looks like I missed my chance on a used 1153 but might have a line on a used OBC115. Any thoughts on mixing an 1153 with an OBC115?

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ANY mis-matched pair of spkr cabs is a crapshoot. No way to know how well, or how horribly they'll sound together short of listening to them. Matched cabs always for the win.

10. Session1969

Session1969

Dec 2, 2010
    Yeah, wait for another 1153 to pop up. Too good of a value to mismatch.

11. GC has 1153's dotted around the US, easy to get another.