125 v / 240v power cord

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whippet, Apr 26, 2019.

1. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    I was wondering if I can use a 125v power cord rated at 10 amps instead of using a 240v power cord in Europe where the voltage is 240v for my amps?

Do I risk anything such as fire, blowing stuff up, etc?

Also how many amps should a good power cord be? 5? 7? 10?

Thank you for all information in advance.

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    No, the connector will be different for safety reasons, and the cable MAY be different as well if it's really rated for 125V (most will carry a 300 volt rating).

Be 100% sure that your amp can be configured for 240 volts, I answer a lot of (expensive) service requests where ultimately this part was either forgotten or disregarded.

3. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks for the information.

I have a conversion outlet tap so the connector part is not a problem.

As for configuring, the tech guy fixed the transformer. He couldn't find the same size one so long story short, he unwound the wires, made some mods, then rewound them for me. Cost me the equivalent of a 100 bucks but it was that or carry around a transformer every where I go so I really had no choice.

Anyway thanks for the information. Will go buy some cables just to be safe. So cheap and less to worry.

4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi Whippet :)

I would love to tell you: "Just get a cable like this…"

but you can find this….

[​IMG]

or this…

[​IMG]

or this…

[​IMG]

or this…

[​IMG]

or this…

[​IMG]

Welcome to Europe!

The connectors and wall outlets will be different everywhere … for reasons nobody really understands!!!! :laugh:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Morrighan and Whippet like this.
  5. I think this might be taking care if the multitude of outlet sockets?

Whippet likes this.
  6. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    It is so crazy in Europe. I am using these two prong connectors and the one for Ukraine is different from the one from Russia by, .05mm. It doesnt sound like much but on some wall sockets, the thing is so loose it is downright dangerous.

I grew up with the Japanese and good ol USA ones and they are just so much better. That actual socket in Europe is so huge it is unbelievable. I dont know who designed this stuff but it is the worst....

which is what I thought, until I lived in Brazil. Different voltage 110 or 220, in one part of the city to another. That is really crazy. I would hate to move around in Brazil.

7. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    It does and it doesnt. As long as I can use the powercords from Japan, it is fine.

The plug is a universal connector that plugs into almost every wall , but the actual tap only accecpts Japanese or American plugs. So the powercord has to be 220v but with a Japanese plug. And voltage in Japan is 100v. So considering all, using a powercord from Japan rated at 100v , plugged into a universal tap, which is connected to a Ukrainian socket might not be the best idea.

I can take my chance since agedhorse and others on the internet said it can take up to 300v, but the cord is so cheap in Ukraine, I might as well just buy another cord for 3 bucks.

8. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    The "eastern europe" part of the problem wasn 't even on my list. :D

I am "made in Europe" :)

Travelling a lot and working in 4 different countrys, I learned two things:

1) Stay on the "right" side of the road! (wherever that may be :D) and

2) Shave wet! A shaving brush and a piece of soap can be live savers (bathroom + electricity + :confused: = :dead:)
    and are cheaper than half a dozen adaptors! :laugh:

greetings

Wise

Whippet likes this.
  9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    That's one of the nice things about newer switch mode power supplies . . . a lot can accept 90 to about 250 with no need to diddle switches and such. Were I playing in the 'voltage of the day' part of the world, that would weigh heavily in gear selection . . . I've been able to do it for other things on international travel as well . . . you just need to make absolutely certain that everything you take has that rating (typically, if it has an IEC power inlet, it *should*, but not always true . . ) and it simply becomes a matter of having a cord or adapter to fit the outlet you find . . .

Whippet likes this.
  10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Say what????

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    He had his power transformer rewound for a different voltage . . . the discussion has been ongoing for days . . . Not a terribly complex process, but tedious, and someone has to want to do it . .

Whippet likes this.
  12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's tedious and full of potential issues where it comes to excitation currents and such. This also assumes that the core is capable of 50Hz operation too. Also, such work completely voids any safety certifications the amp may have.

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    The UK is also in Europe, and it's a very different connector to the mainland.

/\/\3phist0, Wisebass and Whippet like this.
  14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Really the whole world should have used the UK version and all wall-warts should be designed to fit within that footprint so you can use all the sockets in a strip. It seems pretty safe and you can stand on the upturned plug in bare feet and will be in agony but the plug will be undamaged.

Whippet likes this.
  15. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    yep, just unwound it, and rewound it after doing some work. Very very tedious work. Cost me a 100 bucks to fix my Hughes and Kettner that cost me less than 300. The guy worked on it for 4 days inbetween eating, sleeping, watching tv, and working.

Made me really think about spending that cash, but now that I have no transformer lying around to jam my toes into, I am glad I spent that money.

16. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    It does void it, but thankfully the core is capable of 50hz so no problems yet. So far so good. I will have to use it for some time and see. Ukrainians can literally fix anything. It is a good thing and a bad thing. The good is that they can fix a fried up amp. The bad? Almost everyone I have met is always working on their car, home, relationship, etc. This can really break your soul. Dehumanizing and depressing.