1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 18th Century Italian bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Ben Joella, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Ben Joella

Ben Joella Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Price:
    $30000
    Strings:
    Regrettably, I am parting with my personal instrument that helped me to win two professional orchestra auditions during the time that I was actively auditioning. The bass has your typical lush, spreading, complex Italian tone and is incredibly easy to play as well. It doesn't fight you anywhere on the bass.

The bass is a composite Italian instrument. By composite I mean that the top, back, and scroll are clearly 18th Century Italian. The neck and sides are of a later era. The bass is labeled Francesco Zani 1739. That date is consistent with details about Francesco Zani posted on the auction site Cremonae and shown in the attached image.

The bass has fresh varnish and a new fingerboard. It features a removable neck system and is being sold with a deluxe Mooradian bag and flight case. Basically it is ready to hit the audition trail if that is your aim. It is a perfect fit in a professional section and has a tone that is comparable with any other fine instrument. Additionally, the bass has a beautiful solo and chamber tone.

I am selling the bass to fund other projects, so unfortunately I cannot consider trades.

Thanks,
    Ben

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 2.25.37 PM. Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 2.26.06 PM.

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 3.31.49 PM.

2. Danielgl

Danielgl

Jan 9, 2018
    Interested!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    Hi Daniel. I replied to your private conversation.

Thanks,
    Ben

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. ProspectBass

ProspectBass

Jan 19, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Who did your removable neck system?

5. Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    I did.

6. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Are the dimensions listed anywhere? Thanks

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    41.5" string length. I don't remember the body dimensions off hand. I'm sorry.

8. LouisF

LouisF Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's fine. Thanks

9. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy... Supporting Member

Hey there, I only play Electric bass although I find upright bass very interesting. I had no idea that such instruments were even still in existence or circulation and being played, it's unbelievable to me! What an interesting instrument, I hope you sell it quickly and get a good price! All the best man.:thumbsup:

10. Jon Stefaniak

Jon Stefaniak Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Tokyo, Japan
    If it sounds and plays like you say, looks like a steal for 30,000

garrett2 and Pbassmanca like this.