1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD 1936 American Standard Upright Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by David Barrett, Sep 26, 2017.

1. David Barrett

David Barrett Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Price:
    $3500.00
    Strings:
    Rare first-year (184 built) 1936 American Standard in fantastic condition. The American Standard is not only sought after for its big sound, but the thinner neck makes it a pleasure to play. The bass feels/plays fantastic and sounds killer acoustic or electric (includes pickup). Soft case and stand included. New bridge and setup by Matt Bohn (Welcome). Located in San Jose, California (60m south of San Francisco). Local pickup only.

Here’s some information from http://www.hnwhite.com/string page.htm
    “In 1934 The H. N. White Company started making string instruments with the same attention to quality that was used to make brass instruments. The H. N. White Basses quickly gained a reputation for their superior tone but also for their unbelievable quality. The First sting instruments appear in White Way News Number 7 (1934) and were of the King brand only. In 1936 (White Way News Number 9) The American Standard string bass appears. The string basses fronts were made from the finest straight grain spruce with very close grain quality, while the rest of the instrument was made of curly maple. Each bass was equipped with an improved geared key mechanism, insuring rigidity and sensitive tuning. Production of both the King and American Standard versions were halted during the Second World War. Production resumed for the King string bass in 1946, and the American Standard Bass in 1949. “

Date codes for this bass can be found here: http://www.hnwhite.com/Serial Numbers.htm

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18.

punchdrunk, jmlee, JedB and 4 others like this.
  2. Incredible condition!

John Chambliss likes this.
  3. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    you're killing me with this beauty

4. David Barrett

Sep 26, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Reduced to $4,300

5. David Barrett

Sep 26, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Reduced to $3,950

6. superman

superman

Mar 5, 2007
    Nashville Tenn
    You have a rare unmarked or cut label standard,, it dates from about 1940, the serial numbers are not consistant with the marked/label standards, early standards have a hand written serial number, this series have a stamped #,I have owned several of these, they lack the outer lining on the ribs and the tops tend to be a ply thinner,, all of them are in my opinion a little better than a marked standard, Roy Huskey jr's bass was one of these unmarked basses,I'd buy it if you were a bit closer

7. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Wish I lived near you.

8. David Barrett

Sep 26, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Thank you for the information superman!

9. David Barrett

Sep 26, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Lowered to $3,500

james condino likes this.
  10. $3500 for that bass is an absolute deal. I'm so surprised to see it is still here. I have a nice italian bass and a 1938 AS and, I have to say, I used the AS much more than the Italian for day to day gigs. It's just the perfect fit for so many things.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    JLubinsky-Mast and james condino like this.
  11. David Barrett

Sep 26, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks. Yeah, the bass is great... it will get a nice new home soon.

JLubinsky-Mast likes this.
  12. BajoConTumbao

BajoConTumbao

Dec 12, 2017
    Hi David,

Jordan here. I would love to take a look. It would be my very first acoustic bass purchase -- I currently have an EUB (see the thread, "Does Anybody Know Who Made This EUB?"). I'm up in Berkeley and a little swamped right now, but will have time during the week Xmas to New Years, if that's convenient for you (and if it is still available).

I have rented a couple of student models, and gone to Ifshin Violins and tried a bunch of theirs, so I have a little bit of an idea of what I like / don't. I've also look at a few from CL etc. and not found anything that inspires... Consensus is that you have a gem!

13. I have a '34 King. You'd have to punch me out and drop the cash on my chest to make me let it go for $3500.

Incidentally, the attention to detail in the construction of the early H.N. White basses is astonishing for a plywood.

krfoss likes this.
  14. This is a players instrument. American Standards are coveted for their big sound and carved-like woody sound. I always wanted one from the moment I heard one. They stand out from the crowd and fill a mix with warmth and authority. And they are becoming more and more scarce as people snatch them up. Finding one without a neck repair is extremely rare which means that this one is very strong and has been taken care of. Best of luck.

15. David Barrett

Sep 26, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Sorry for the delay in response, I was traveling. The bass has been sold. Good luck in your search!

16. David Barrett

Sep 26, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Sorry for the delay in response, I was traveling. The bass has been sold. Good luck in your search!

17. David Barrett

Sep 26, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Yeah, King's are great basses!