1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1939 Juzek previously owned by Gary Peacock

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Matt.E.Stein, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Price:
    Strings:
    For sale is a beautiful Juzek bass which I purchased from Gary Peacock in 2016. Shortly after purchasing, I had Mike Shank do some setup and fingerboard work on it (one of his specialties) and have had him checking in on the bass regularly while taking very good care of it myself.

After having owned a few basses with weird quirks, I bought this bass after doing a lot of hunting for a really reliable, playable bass with an even sound across the fingerboard. That's exactly what this bass is. I love the tone of this bass across the whole fingerboard. It also has probably my favorite neck of any bass I've played. It find it's just smooth and easy on the hands.

Please see all measurements in attached appraisal. Also included is the only pic of Gary (that I know of) of him playing the bass.

I'm only selling because I'm just not playing as much these days and could really use a little extra cash after losing some work last year.

Priced for a quick sale. $9600 firm. Includes a Mooradian case in excellent condition and a full circle pickup. Currently strung with a brand new set of Spirocore mittles.

Sounds clips can be heard here:

Juzek - Shared with pCloud

Email is preferred for correspondence: [email protected]

Attached Files:

2. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    Isn't that just awesome, to own one of the master's basses. If I'm not mistaken this is their Master Art Series with violin corners and finer woods. The price could not be more fair for what it is. Wish I needed a bass. Someone would do very good to buy this immediately.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    ted burik and Joshua like this.
  3. bassmanbrent

bassmanbrent Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Vancouver, BC
    My goodness! I may be in big trouble :) Does it have a D neck? Thanks! Also, do you have any pics of the button area?

4. Yes, D neck. Will try to get a pick up soon of the button area.

bassmanbrent likes this.
  5. Button area:

Attached Files:

bassmanbrent likes this.
  6. Definitely a Master Art, as indicated by the ebony diamond inlay in the button.

7. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I checked this bass out last time it was up for sale and its a beautiful playing / sounding / looking instrument! Definitely the perfect bass for a gigging jazz bassist. I didn't end up buying it only because it felt like a lateral move from my Golia -- just for 5 or 6 grand less :)

8. Ben Rolston

Ben Rolston Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Also Matts super nice

834federal likes this.
  9. Len S

Len S Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2020
    Baltimore, MD
    Had I not bought my LaScala (which I love) about a month ago, I would have begged my wife to let me up my budget 2.5K and would have bought this in a heartbeat. What a wonderful instrument.

10. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Man...if we were within a day's drive of one another...

11. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    Well, I mean.... kinda depends on how fast you're driving, right? :D

ted burik likes this.
  12. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    What's a day in the covid era? ;)

conte2music likes this.
  13. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    If it wasn't for Covid, there are a few sofas I could sleep on, but things are what they are right now. Looks like a great bass.

conte2music and Jason Sypher like this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021