1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1939 Kay M1W BEST REASONABLE OFFER!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by tomshepp, Jun 26, 2014.

1. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Price:
    $2000
    Strings:
    Original finish, tuners tailpiece. New ebony board and endpin. (done by Volker Nahrmann)
    Includes Full Circle pickup. Excellent condition. Can provide more pics for those interested. Best Reasonable Offer.

photo-23.JPG photo-20.JPG

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  2. What's the line on the neck heel? Was it broken and repaired?

3. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Yes. When the board was being replaced, I was not happy with the first one that Volker put on. When he was removing that one, it must have cracked. Not sure how, or why as he never explained it. Not sure what it does to the value of the bass, but he put on a much higher quality board and I left it at that. I believe that was about 3 or 4 years ago, and the repair seems solid.

4. Did I miss the $ ?
    Location?

5. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Yes, it's in the box just above the post.
    $2000.
    Boston area.

6. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    A couple more pics and a bump. IMG_0308. IMG_0309. IMG_0311. IMG_0312. IMG_0313.

7. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    This is a very nice bass at a very reasonable price! I've had some "tire kickers", but still available. BUMP.

8. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Bump!

9. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Long overdue BUMP!

10. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    TTT

11. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I'm really surprised that this lovely bass is unsold at the price. Around here it would go for over $3000.

tomshepp likes this.
  12. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    I got a chance to check out this bass today. I'm actually considering buying it, but I figure I'd let anyone else interested know it's fantastic! In really nice shape. Great tone and volume. I doesn't look to have been mistreated over the years and the new ebony board looks to be much much nicer and thicker than the stock Kay fingerboards I've seen. Very nice bass. Worth checking out.

tomshepp likes this.
  13. What about the cracked neck? Does it look as bad as the pic?
    That was the 1 thing that turned me off about it. I even wrote to Volker to ask about it and he didn't return my mail.
    If not for that, I would have bought it.

14. tomshepp

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    You should ask me about it!:mad:

15. igor kondur

igor kondur

Jul 28, 2004
    NYC
    Pmed

16. Tom, I read what you had written about it before, that is why I went ahead and wrote Volker. IMHO, that one pic may be why it hasn't sold yet. Like I said, that is why I didn't pursue it any further. And if I didn't, perhaps others have too.

I understand what you are saying and I am sure that you are an honest gentleman but it is always buyer beware and you have to use good judgement when looking to buy. If I go to look at a car that has the fender duct taped on and the owner says it has been like that for years, I have to assume that it may blow off going down the road. If I see that it has been welded back on, I am going to feel a little better about it.

With your bass, you never mentioned a repair only that the board had been replaced. So I have to ask, with out seeing it, how bad is it actually? Not that you wouldn't give me an honest opinion but you would give me your opinion of your bass.... Just like I would give you my opinion of my bass and you might say it is nothing like I think it is... I hope I said that in a way that we all understand?

So, in a nutshell what I ask jmceachern36 was, how bad is it? If a second opinion that has no interest in your bass says it is nothing really, then IMHO, it will carry more confidence that it is not a problem and you may have more interest in it.

tomshepp likes this.
  17. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    I'd like to see a few close up pics of crack in question. It doesn't appear to be deep from the included pic.

18. jmceachern36

jmceachern36 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2005
    Cambridge MA
    That thing on the neck didn't or wouldn't bother me at all. It actually looks worse in the pictures. Its totally smooth and not that noticeable in person.

19. I think that is what we all needed to hear.

20. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Even if the neck was completely sheared off and in a separate garbage bag, that is a very good price for a 1939 Kay. That period is the apex of Kay desirability and market demand. It looks like a great bass, and others have checked it out and given it the thumbs up. If it were in my neighborhood it would get a MUCH higher price. It is important to remeber that there are two types of Kay owners: those with broken necks and those that are going to have a broken neck; the same can be said for almost every double bass made. If you are that worried about it, there is a replacemnet neck in the classifieds!

j.
    www.kaybassrepair.com
    www.condino.com

tomshepp likes this.