1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

1954 EB-1 tuner suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neili360, Nov 21, 2018.

1. neili360

neili360

May 31, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    I own a 1954 EB-1. Some back history on this bass... I purchased it used about 1974. Mods are: it has been refinished (can barely see the s/n); head stock was repaired, 40 years and holding; the original pickup was rewound but did not last so I replaced with a DiMarzio EB-1; no pick guard and it has no extending end pin. Also before my purchase someone wanted it to be more like Jack Bruce's EB-1 so they put Schaller tuners on it (and cut slits in the case to accommodate!!) and different knobs. It still plays and sounds good.

My question is, with all these mods, should I, for aesthetic reasons, bother to put a set of the reissued EB-1 Kluson tuners on it? About a hundred bucks gets a set, and it would look more like it was designed. Not sure if it would affect the sound. Photo as it is today.

IMG_0485.JPG.

2. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    I'd love to have an Eb1. I think it looks fine as is now.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Did holes have to be drilled or filled to put in the Schallers?

4. neili360

neili360

May 31, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    They were not filled. Thinking Schaller using one, the other exposed. This also shows my neck repair.

Attached Files:

JimmyM likes this.
  5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I would definitely put original banjo tuners back on it.

bobyoung53, cdef and neili360 like this.
  6. I'm with Scott; banjos on those old Gibson headstocks add a whole layer of nuance to those instruments. I just would want to be sure that the string spindles are for bass diameter and not guitar or banjo.

bobyoung53 and neili360 like this.
  7. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Awesome bass. I've wanted one of those for a long time.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    I have a 58 eb 2 that has those banjo tuners where would you find a replacement set I have been looking for years. I would swap out that bridge and use a hipshot 2 point it will transform the sound and intonation

neili360 likes this.
  9. neili360

neili360

May 31, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    Well, thanks for all of the feedback. I bought a set. JD, the Kluson line of tuners are reissued to original spec and sold by WD Music. They have a 25% off sale right now so $99 + free shipping. Got the nickel plated version. They state these are exact replacement for the original EB-1.

bobyoung53 and JimmyM like this.
  10. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    thanks just ordered a set for my EB-2

neili360 likes this.
  11. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    That will look sweet with original tuners, nice “upgrade”, though it won’t make a lick of difference tone-wise. I’ll bet that thumps like a champ.

neili360 likes this.
  12. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    neili360 likes this.
  13. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    just an FYI just installed mine on my 58-EB2 you will have to drill out the hole to accommodate the string, I used a 1/8 size bit.

14. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    here is an update, installed the tuners and they will not tune up to pitch they slip, put the originals back on they worked fine. I am sending them back and I suggested that they get hipshot to make them. you can guess where they were made, not in the USA like the originals.

15. neili360

neili360

May 31, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    Oh no. That's a real bummer. I was going to install today. Hoping they work.

16. jdthebassman

jdthebassman

Jul 11, 2010
    the problem is that they cant handle the string tension on the E&A strings. and on the others you can barely get them in pitch. I have installed ghs short scale strings 95-40. once I put the original tuners on no problem. what gauge are you using? let me know how it comes out.

17. neili360

neili360

May 31, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    The tuners came out good. The holes were apparently retrofitted for the Schallers so I ended up needing to re-use those 1/2" bushings instead of the Kluson which are maybe 1/4". When the Schallers were added one screw hole was filled and new one drilled, so I need to reverse that to get it properly seated.

Attached Files:

HaphAsSard and JimmyM like this.
  18. That thing is in REALLY nice shape, looks like it never left the bedroom. And it looks way better with the RI tuners, the others didn't look right. Can you intonate it with that bridge? I have a 65 EB-3 with the same bridge and it played flat, had to buy a replacement bridge which worked out fine.

19. neili360

neili360

May 31, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    Not sure why it did not work JD, sorry man. My strings are D-Addario tapewounds, 50-105, used similar scale Chromes before. Maybe something with the EB-2 neck/scale design? since these were made specifically for EB-1 and banjos. I don't know anything about that gear ratio biz but it all seems stable on mine. I left for six hours after I finished it up and still in tune when I returned. Thanks for the heads up on the holes tho, I was bracing myself. The A was tight but all but the E fit with no mod, and for the E I just removed enough silk to slide the core string through and all was good.

20. neili360

neili360

May 31, 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    Even the refinish is starting to show after 40 years but it still does look pretty good. That is the idea with the bridge and it is okay. The EB thud sort of has a tonal colour of its own so it's usually very playable, tho I mostly just play it at home anymore.

bobyoung53 likes this.