SOLD 1959 Fender Precision Bass - Oly/Maple neck

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bherman, Aug 27, 2019.

1. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Price:
    Strings:
    Back up for sale/feeler is a 1959 Precision bass that I have personally owned for the last 50+ years. I bought it when I was 12 years old, I'm now in my mid-60's and its been in my hands continuously for the entire time. When I bought it it had already been badly refinished - looked like a brush paint job. It's been refinished several times, most recently (maybe 7 or 8 yrs ago) Olympic White (poly finish). There were traces of white in the neck pocket and the body when stripped the two-piece body was a bad grain match, so I believe that the bass would have been solid color when new and not a good candidate for a sunburst finish. Virtually everything else is original - volume pot and capacitor replaced some years ago when it cracked, wiring between pots and pickups was replaced. neck refretted with NOS vintage fret wire about 10 years ago, bone nut replacement when it was refretted. D string tuner was repaired many years ago (was that way when I got it). Comes with a non-original Fender case in good condition that I bought in 1968 (still remember my Dad taking to me to Mannys Music in NYC to buy the case). Body is in fine condition, a few dings here and there but totally in closet queen condition.

I had a tort pickguard made a few years back as I thought it would look better than the original bronze guard (I've always loved tort and white basses). Both will be included - see photos. Both the pickup cover and ashtray are original and in great condition - stored in the case and hardly ever on the bass.

Neck is dated 3/59, which is just about when Fender switched to rosewood fingerboards, making this part of the last batch of maple necks to leave the factory. Serial number is 36073. Neck is in fine condition, 1 11/16" width at the nut with a slender profile. I did not pull the pickups to get serial #s but I can assure you that they've never been pulled or replaced.

I've decided to sell this bass for two reasons. The first is that I hardly ever play electric bass these days, 99% upright, and I hate to see this bass sit on my wall. I'd like to see it go into the hands of a serious player, and get used and loved as I did for the next 50 yrs. The second is that I've got my eye on an upright that I can't afford without selling this. So cash is king. I might consider a partial trade for a 4-string P-style bass. I've had offers from vintage shops to buy or consign this, but would rather see it go into the hands of a TB member.

This bass is a player's dream P bass. Beautiful, slim (front to back) neck - 1 3/4" width. Sounds like a dream, incredibly resonant body with P bass warmth for days.

Hit me up with a pm with any questions or inquiries. More photos on request.

Price is a reasonable $4,700 shipped and fully insured to CONUS. If finish was original, this bass would be selling for 3-4x this price. Will ship to AK or HI for additional shipping cost. Not willing to ship to Canada or overseas, insurance gets too tricky.

Attached Files:

2. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    Can I just say, that is an amazing bass! The White/Gold/Maple combo just really does it for me, especially the 'transparent/stain' white that sometimes shows up on vintage P's.

Pbassmanca, Mpacificar and bherman like this.
  3. Stunning. GLWTS....I hope you don’t regret it.

JB

bherman likes this.
  4. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Thx - believe me, I've thought about this long and hard. My real goal is to get this into a pro player's hands. Nothing would make me happier than to know that someone was out playing this bass hard every night. I've had the true pleasure of owning and playing it nearly all of my life, and view it as a caretaker role, now time for someone else.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Dreamy...
    GLWTS

tlvernon and bherman like this.
  6. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Wow!

7. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Would trade my 1974 Gibson Les Paul Signature bass. It's kind of P bassey/kind of uprighty...:bassist:

Mpacificar and bherman like this.
  8. TheDialog

TheDialog Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Baltimore
    Theoretically, it could haha

Mpacificar and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I would love to buy this but I no longer play out so I would not be doing justice to it.

DDXdesign and joker820 like this.
  10. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Sweet bass, wow. Good luck.

11. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Love it. I'm playing my old 59 P in my avatar. Is the decal original?

12. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    No, its a crazy story. When I got the bass (I think it was 1967, I was 12 yrs old) the decal was already gone and the body had been badly repainted. Some years later (not exactly sure when, but I think that it was about 1985) I set about to strip off the old, hand-painted finish and stripped it down to bare wood. For many years it had a natural finish (clear poly - I still have pictures of it). I started corresponding with Fender and told them that I wanted a decal to replace the one that was missing. They refused and said that they wouldn't supply one, even though I sent them photos, etc. Some years later I had it professionally finished (current Oly White) and the guy that did the work had contacts at Fender and convinced them to supply a genuine vintage decal. He had to supply serial #, etc. I don't blame Fender, I imagine that they knew even back then that people were putting counterfeit vintage basses on the market.

One thing I forgot to add - the headstock had been refinished (badly applied varnish, by the looks of it) but fortunately the neck has never been touched, other than for the refretting. I was lucky to find a guy back then who had a stash of NOS vintage fret wire so the new frets matched the originals. Too many years of playing roundwounds had chewed the frets up too much to keep using them! Since then, its been flatwounds only.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Mastermold likes this.
  13. Beauty!

bherman likes this.
  14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Extremely Cool! Forgive my asking but couldn't you gift this to a loved one?

bbh likes this.
  15. The Bass King

The Bass King

Aug 28, 2019
    Pm

16. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I’m gifting most of my gear to people that I love and have been in bands with. Just a memoir for when I’m gone. But I’m too ill to gig, different situation.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  17. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Sorry to hear that you're not well....Best wishes for your health...:bassist:

bherman likes this.
  18. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Thanks but I’m cool with it. Living is the hard part.

19. limmlimm

limmlimm Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Nags Head
    I have an old Czech flat back with a carved top from the 1930s I would drive out to you for a trade if your interested.

20. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Sending pm

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021