1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1965 eb-0 sg advice plz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by raslroy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    Got this eb-o today not sure if i should part it out or repair it then flip it. Plz take a look at the pic and let me know what y'all think

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Did you get it for free?? What does the rest of the bass look like?

3. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    If you got a good deal on it and the rest of the bass is very nice, you could always have the joint rebroken and set more nicely. If you paid a lot it might not be worth it.

4. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Is that a DIY repair? I would shy away from 'parting it out' because of the rarity value. If the headstock is too ruined for a clear finish make it a solid colour! Pelham blue would be good.

5. If the headstock is solid and at the correct angle, refinish it and enjoy it. If the neck isn't set right, either have someone do a MAJOR re-set or just take it apart and sell it for parts.

6. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    not much money is invested in this bass:D

i am more interested in quick sale, so trying to decide to part out, sell as is, or repair.

furthermore i always shy away from buying a gibson with neck repair. do any of you fellow bassies play neck repaired gibsons?

anyone know current market price for this bass in this condition?

Here is a front shot. dated pots and serial to 1965.

THANKS

7. lweastdad

lweastdad

Feb 5, 2011
    Take it to a REAL GOOD luther... I've seen worse condition guitars come out like brand new. Get some recommendations from local people then look at their work

8. Meddle

Meddle

Jul 27, 2009
    Scotland
    Turn it into this;

[​IMG]

9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Get the neck professionally restored. You will more than recoup the cost. Try RSGuitarworks in Winchester, KY.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If that bass were in nice, original condition, it would sell for around $1,000. As it is, with that hideous neck repair, it's a $300-$400 instrument. The problem with repairing that neck is that after you've sunk a lot of dough into it, it will still be a Gibson with a neck repair, and it will never be worth full retail. The parts on that bass aren't valuable enough to justify the work you'll put into it. Sell it as is.

11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Do the math before you consider repairing that neck.

What's the bass worth now? Let's say $300. What's a neck repair run? Another $300? What will the bass be worth when the repair is done? $500? So you've sunk time and effort and cash for what - to lose $100 in the end?

No one is going to pay a premium to have a seller source out a repair that they as a buyer could source out themselves. Sell it as is.

12. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Dec 29, 2008
    Yes absolutely!

It has no measureable effect on tone, and will cost less money. There are players guitars and there are collectors guitars... as collectors rise in value it becomes unfeasible to play them out.

And besides a well repaired headstock is a strong as an unrepaired one - so yes I own many repaired Gibsons, and I play them all.

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Problem is, the OP isn't interested in playing this bass. He inquiring about how to make the most money on a sale.

14. raslroy

raslroy

Apr 27, 2011
    Tel Aviv
    Yes but I also wanted to learn about repair & satisfaction w/repairs in relation to investment. I lost my shirt on an SD Curlee restore to resell.

Thank you everyone I learned what do in this case.

Doing it As-Is

15. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Less than 2 years ago, I bought and sold a 1969 EB-0 with a similarly repaired headstock for $650. Yours otherwise looks to be in good condition and all original, and generally the mid-60s ones like yours seem to go for a little more than than the later 60s ones. If you just want to sell the bass for a quick return and not play it, just put it up on ebay (BIN with Best Offer) as is and you should get a decent price for it. As long as it plays fine, the slightly unsightly repair job will not put people off, since that "problem" is so common.

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    At least get a quote from a good restorer or two. A nearly 50 year-old iconic bass guitar deserves a little love, IMHO. This type of instrument was "it" for the garage band set in 1963.