1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1973 ampeg b-40 info?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chip_gilkey, Sep 8, 2008.

1. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey

Sep 8, 2008
    Hi im new to this forum and im not sure if this is the proper section for this but here we go. I have an ampeg B-40 head from 1973. I know is solid state and i know it is basically the same thing as the b410 and the b115 but other than that i know nothing. Does anyone have any info on this paticular head, mainly if its collectible or rare and if so how collectible. Also what is the average market price for something like this as im thinking of selling it. Thanks for any information you may have.

2. klabur

klabur

Aug 28, 2007
    The B40 is the "head only" version of the B115 or B410 combo, it was produced between 1975 and 1980.(Combos are from 73 to 80)
    Magnavox period.

I purchased one recently for 250 euros, which is in France the lowest price i've ever seen for any Ampeg head in any condition.
    It's not really a collectible item, it wasn't a big commercial success.
    Ampeg + SS was not a good marketing association.
    That's the explanation for the lack of information on it.

Don't expect to sell it for a big amount of money, however it really has that 70's classic Ampeg sound (Think a mini V4B without the tube grint) and it's plenty loud for its 120W.
    Much much better IMHO than the modern SS or hybrid Ampeg amps (B115, B100R, even SVT3 )

I use it with a Markbass 112Std and I never missed any power.

It's a nice guitar amp too, for clean sounds only ...

Maybe selling it is not the best option ...

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some would say it still isn't. Ever play through a B2RE? ;) But I do like their hybrids OK...had a 3 Pro that I liked pretty well, but not near as much as their tube heads.

Either of you got a pic? I'm an Ampeg nut and I don't believe I've seen one of them yet.

4. klabur

klabur

Aug 28, 2007
    Here's one, taken by the seller, the head has been since cleaned and I removed the white paint on the knobs.
    I'd like to find new ones but ... that's pretty unlikely.

I think the US version had a ground lift switch in place of the red pilot lamp on the right.

Attached Files:

5. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I had the combo version of that amp in 1975. Served me well 'til i started playing out at big clubs: went for an Acoustic 360 and then a SVT. Sold it to a guitar player who got a lot of use out of it.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I don't know...I think Magnavox dropped the ground lift on all their amps by that time, but I could be wrong...might have been a year later. But anyway, thanks for the pic. Looks like a cross between an Ampeg and an Acoustic ;)

7. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I had a b-40 cab once; it was the only Ampeg cab I've ever been disappointed with. So maybe it wasn't just bad marketing.

8. klabur

klabur

Aug 28, 2007
    :confused:
    Cosmetically you're right, yet sonically it is an Ampeg.

I saw once a picture of a B-410 with 2 switches on the right side, if not a ground lift what was the second one ??http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/colors/confused.gif

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Had to be either a ground lift or a standby. But since it's a SS amp, there's no need for a standby, so I guess we can rule that out. Eh, I probably was wrong.

10. klabur

klabur

Aug 28, 2007
    If you know the V6b, the B-40 is close sonically, same power transistors (4 instead of 8) half the power, same settings, same knobs, two channels on the B-40, really heavy for a SS amp, the power transformer is bigger than the one in my Fender Bassman 100 silverface, long power cord too :2 meters.

11. I have the 115 combo. The 2nd switch from the right is Polarity.

12. Willempie

Willempie

Dec 13, 2008
    Hi, im from holland (fot people who notice the bad writing :) )
    Im using a b410 for 4 years now. And im very happy with it. The sound combined with a Fender jazz bass special and (for some who like it) a DOD FX50-B overdrive or proco rat distortion. This setup give's a very dirty bass sound. The amp is old (1979). But its very VERY loud for 120watts. Its now for maintanance at the repair shop. Like early said in this tread, the information on the net is very bad to get. So i mailed with Ampeg about any information they can get to me. I was suprized how fast i got response from Ampeg. Within 2 days i had the service manual in a pdf file on my computer. So if anyone wants it you can send me a PM or Mail. This info incluede's the b40 b410 and the b115 wich r practicly all the same amps but using different speaker setups.

o/

13. klabur

klabur

Aug 28, 2007
    Sure i'd like to have it ... PM sent.

14. Willempie

Willempie

Dec 13, 2008
    1 happy allready :)