1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1976 Aria Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shane6969, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,

I've had a Japanese made 1976 Aria Jazz bass for 22 years and it's always been my second bass and I haven't really thought much about it, but lately I've been wondering have these basses ever been considered to be any good, or are they worth anything these days? Or are they just considered to be crap?

Personally, if I had to do anything to improve this bass I'd change the pup's.

Cheers.

2. You know, without pictures, it doesn't exist!:D

I know some of the Aria stuff is really nice quality!

3. There you go:

http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/bass/fbs/fndr_bass.html
    http://www.matsumoku.org/models/aria/catalogs/78_diamond/78_aria-diamond_pg2.jpg.html.

I used to play one of those "Diamond" Jazz Basses for more than 15 years (and I still would, had my older brother not wanted it back). Had a black finish, though. The pick-ups had no covers around them so you could see the actual coils, and they had only one pole per string instead of two. The instrument sounded really good, unfortunately it also weighed a ton! The hardware was of course rather basic, especially the small tuners, and as opposed to the pic in the link, this ones heads were black plastic! I'll post a pic later!

4. Alright, here's the pic - from the early '90s :)

[​IMG]

5. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Not sure about the Aria Jazz, but the early 80's SB1000's bring about a grand. They are extremely well made.

6. Picking up one myself tommorow on a trade for an Ibanez SR305 5 string. Looks just like in the catalog flame burst 4 string. Serial number is 701880 made in Japan steel adjustable neck.

Is this a good trade for me? 77 or 76? Guy dosent seem to know what he has

Attached Files:

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Aria basses and guitars back then where one of the better import makers around imo. They used real wood rather then plywood and build them so you could have decent to great action rather then the mile high that was typical of most oriental makers back then. They also used good hardware and pups unlike most.

8. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Aria were not well regarded at first, but they were certainly a better instrument than most of the imports.

9. Since you must've had this bass for several months by now: What's your opinion on it? Good trade-in?

Cheers, V :)