1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1976 Ric Maple Glo fretless F/T

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by davec, Mar 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    Ok, up for trade is a converted 4001 '77 Ohsc Inc. The Bass is in great shape and plays well. Neck is very very clean and was converted in the Early 80's by a professional luthier on the East Coast. The Bass is in pristine condition

Pm for more details if interested and I can email you more Pic's

I'd like to trade for a Jazz (preferably Fretless) or Fretted of equal value

Attached Files:

2. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    As has been the talk around hear on fretless basses. When I say the neck is clean, I mean that the fret board shows very little wear.

Attached Files:

3. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Any suggestions on why no love the the Ric ?

4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    My guess would be the "converted" aspect. Most Ric fans seem to be purists and freak out at relatively minor changes. A fretboard change is not exactly minor so I would guess that most Ric fans are simply steering clear. One of the reasons I'd avoid this bass (and I'm not one of the Ric purists I spoke of BTW) is that I'd be concerned about how the fretboard was installed and if the truss rods still function properly. Everything might be fine but I've seen enough examples of fine Rics ruined by incompetent luthiers that I tend to pass on heavily modded examples unless I can check 'em out in person. I'd rather see a standard Ric fretboard with the frets pulled/filled as opposed to a complete swap.

Also I'd list a value that you are shooting for. Most people are used to the current trend in Ric values (high) so they may be avoiding your offer simply based on what they think you think your Ric is worth. Based on the conversion I'd set the value pretty low as far as Rics go. Strictly IMO of course.

5. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Thanks Incubus,
    Whats kind of what I'm thinking. It was converted in 1981. Yeah, these Mid-seventys Ric's are going for some Crazy dough. I'm thinking Ebay Value of a generic Ric' Because of the mod. I also think that the term luthier is completly lost. I don't remember the name of the guy. By luthier, I meant as in someone who can take wood and craft a instrument, far to often its used to refer to a tech or even an assembler. As to the hands on, I'm starting to think my best option maybe at a guitar show, something where someone can hear this thing.
    Anyway thanks for your input

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    If it had lines I might have been tempted to swing a trade for my DJ.....but alas....I have never played a non-lined fretless and need the "training wheels"....still - I will give it a big NICE BASS Bump!!!!

7. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    If its still around by the next Chicago GTG I'll bring it just to let you mess around with it..... BTW When is the next GTG?

8. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    bump

9. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    the not even an offer of a highly mod'ed CIJ, BUMP

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If I had a fretless jazz, I'd certainly offer it to you! Bumpa for a cool bass.

11. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Fretless is perfered, but not a requirement make on offer with a fretted Jazz, and thanks for the bump

12. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    bump

13. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    What $$ do you value your Ric?

14. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bump for something I really want but shouldn't even think about buying!

15. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    it was ordered in '76 but is actually a '77

16. davec

davec Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    If this is against rules please delete the post but how about a good old what do you think its worth bump, just pm me with what you thonk the bass is worth. I don't care if your intrested or not just what do you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.