1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

1978 Precisions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woking Bass, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Woking Bass

Woking Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    I love mine. Tried many bass's and always come back to this one.

I know there are some logs out there, but Ive heard a lot of 70's P owners really enthuse about '78s - did Fender do something different that year - PUs perhaps??

2. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    78 p is the only pbass i own!!
    mine does have late 70's Dimarzio p/u though. i bought it thet way and dont have thr orig.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I had two different 78's. I loved a 77 or two... but that's it for '70's.

I think the reason 78's are so well received is that there are a LOT of them. The S8 serial was used up until about 1981 I believe, so the 78's are plentiful, hence all the raging about them.

I miss my '78. The black one sounded so good, but at 11.5 lbs. my back just couldn't take it.

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My 77 is the best Pbass I've ever played.

5. momo

momo

Oct 22, 2005
    Huntington Beach, CA
    A lot has to do with the S8 serial#. I have an S8, sunburst/rosewood that is awesome, but the neck is HUGE. Great mojo and wonderful recorded tone, but a bit unwieldy live. I did a fret job, i think its first judging by the fret divits, and it helps.

Does anyone have a link to the pot date codes so I can check the actual date of mine?

6. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I have a 78 P... the pickups are awesome on that bass... really hot and great with rounds. This P has a set of flats on it but I don't think it sounds as good as rounds, because these pickups don't sound like regular P pups.

7. Woking Bass

Woking Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Try this Momo -

http://home.exetel.com.au/mosrite/Date Your Guitar_Pot Codes.php

I think that there was some sort of change to PUs around 78, that seems to be one of the things Ive heard from a few people. Ive heard earlier 70s P's that just dont have the 'grunt' that these later ones seem to have.

Im not trying to make like 78 was some 'golden year' for P's - but Ive heard a lot of happy bassists that own one and comments about the PUs that seem to suggest they are a little different

8. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Were there more than one neck profile available at that time? My S8 has a great neck, very jazz-like.

With the exception of the neck, tuners and body, nothing is original. It's been refinished(not that well,but I like it), frets pulled(excellent job), J pup added and gone through a variety of pups in the P position(at least in it's history that I know).

It's a great bass and definitely a keeper.

9. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I have one too, and it's tone (to me) is simply amazing. 78 P w/flats :bassist::hyper:

10. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    i will post a pic of mine tonite when i get home.
    i havent cleaned it since getting it like 7 yrs ago haha i just play it
    with the grit build up ( getting a relic look) especially the hardware.

11. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    My high school had one ...needless to say i never brought a bass from home to play in jazz band

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'm interested as I have a '71, and played a couple of P-basses in 78-79. I still have a vague impression that they did seem different from the '70 I had been playing for all of '76 and 77.

I don't know if they changed the pickups or not, but perhaps someone over in the Pickups and Electronics forum could advise us.

Pics and ohm readings might tell us something.
    Lots of P-basses got pick-up swaps back then.

13. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    I love my '78 (which I bought used in '88 for $400). Best bass I've ever owned - and many others have come and gone. My neck is a hunk of wood, and I love it that way. Both my Rob Allen basses have necks based on the P.

14. I bought mine new in '78 for $595. I was 27 and just got married and was forced to return it. I should have returned the wife instead and kept the bass. Ah, wisdom doth come with age!

15. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Here's my S8

P-bass.

16. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Mine is black on black with maple and I agree that the pickups are a little different.