1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 1978 Rickenbacker 4001 - refinished

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by yaryaryaryar, Oct 27, 2018.

1. yaryaryaryar

yaryaryaryar Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2016
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is a bit of a feeler - I really love this bass, but another one just came in to the house, and I have to follow the old "one in, one out" rule. You know how it goes.

This is a 1978 Rickenbacker 4001, with obviously a lot of work done. I really think the best feature of this bass is that it's now contoured much more smoothly and it's now the most comfortable Rickenbacker I've ever played. When it was sanded/refinished, the binding on the front of the body was removed, and the sharp corners smoothed over. Think 4003s, but then contoured more like a Fender. Especially right where your right forearm hits (if you're playing with a pick), that's been kind of shaped Fender-style. Anyway, it's tough to describe, so I tried to show it in the photos.

The refinishing itself looks pro. Really, a lot of care went in to this. It's a poly finish, from what the previous owner told me. The only finish imperfection I've been able to find is a tiny bit of un-even-ness at the neck heel (photo below). You have to have it in direct light to notice. Since the refinish, there are a couple dings and whatnot, most notably some buckle rash on the back, and a couple dings on the body by the bridge, and near the bridge pickup mount.

The pickups are '78s, but the electronics are all new - the wiring harness was purchased directly from Rickenbacker. And since I was re-doing the electronics anyway, I opted for the push/pull pot, like on a modern 4003. So you've got the vintage tones (capacitor on the bridge pickup) and the modern tones (capacitor jumpered out). The pickguard is brand new from Pickguardian. The bridge is a Hipshot Kickass, and the little gap that Rickenbacker cuts out under the stock bridge was filled in with matching wood at the time of refinishing. Includes the original hard case, which is in good shape.

The neck is straight and the intonation is good. Action is low - maybe too low as there is a bit of buzz on the low frets. That doesn't bother me at all, but might bother some, so that's the only reason I mention that.

Again, it's an incredibly playable bass. I've been a jazz bass player most of my life, but Rickenbackers are my favorite sounding bass. I've never warmed up to the sharp binding, and even on the 4003s, the edges are just a little too sharp. This bass solves that problem.

Feel free to email with any questions. The price above does not include shipping - that shouldn't be much more than $50, depending on where you are. I did put sale or trade at the top - cash is always best, but I can be tempted with trades of other old/interesting stuff. Of course that would mean then I'd have to let something else go......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. BWorm

BWorm Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2014
    Illinois
    Wow!! This looks like just what I am after...

3. The Deep

The Deep

Jul 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    Do you know the weight?

Thanks

4. yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    9.2 lbs by my scale.

5. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Wow,looks like they did a really nice job on the contouring,finish,etc.
    I’d love to play it and see what it feels like. Glwts!

6. BK bassist

BK bassist "Apollo's Ghost" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY
    PM'd

woodyng2 likes this.
  7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, the contouring looks great.

8. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Awesome!

9. Puma

Puma Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2010
    VA
    So I did "Check out Apollo's Ghost" on Sound Cloud. Damn good!!

BK bassist likes this.
  10. Puma

Puma Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2010
    VA
    PM’d

11. Codsak

Codsak

Jan 24, 2013
    Florida

What Trades are you looking for?? I have Jazz, P, Basses, Gibsons EB3, WAL MKI MKII, Yamaha,

12. yaryaryaryar

Mar 27, 2016
    Interesting...... replied by PM. Thanks.