SOLD 1988 Ernie Ball Music Man Stingray 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Tom F, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    I've had this listed on other sites at a higher price. Getting a little more serious about selling, so listing it here for less. Not really looking for trades, but I love trying out new gear. Have some other basses/amps I might be willing to package in a 2 for 1 trade. Not looking for anything in particular, but open to basses, amps, recording gear, etc. Never know unless you ask - I'm always willing to talk!

According to the Ernie Ball Music Man site, this bass was produced on July 13, 1988, making this a very early production Stingray 5. The earliest date I've been able to find on these basses is early June. Weight is 10 lbs, 7.7 oz on my postal scale. Not a lightweight, but balances pretty well, especially with a wider strap.

I’ll start with the good news: this bass plays and sounds fantastic. Low b has always been tight and punchy, and truss rod adjusts as it should, with low action. Neck profile is a little more on the "wide-flat" side of things compared to newer Stingray 5's I've owned int eh past. The Alnico pickup has a very meaty, organic tone. The 3 band EQ is flexible and provides substantial tone shaping, giving different shades to the basic Stingray tone.

The not so good news (or cool mojo if you think like me): there is lots of real, honest, player wear, and at some point many moons ago this bass suffered a fall or some other cataclysmic damage to its body. As shown in the pics, there is a chunk of wood on the back by the output jack that has been replaced. According to the previous owner, who bought it from the *original* owner (who bought it new from Manny’s Music in NYC), it was used regularly with a country act, which may be the origin of the HB initials scratched into the body. The repair is very well done though, and there is no perceptible joint on the back of the body (i.e. you can see it but not feel it), or obvious refinish. As a result of the accident, the pickguard was replaced with a WD music aftermarket guard. The preamp sounds and appears original to me, but I’m including pics so any buyers can make their own judgments. There is one bridge saddle screw that does not adjust, the bridge height is set well for most folks. As part of the player wear, there are also small chips and dings throughout, including a couple on the back of the neck. One knob is also non-original and was replaced during the massive repair job that took place.

Some fret wear, but has always set up well, with good string height and a straight neck - truss functions as it should. The tone of this bass is on the warm side compared to other Stingrays I’ve owned and played in the past. It records very organically, almost like a super punchy and clear sounding passive bass.

Price of $1100 includes shipping in a non-original hardshell case (Musicians Gear tweed).

SR5-Body.jpg SR5-Full.jpg SR5-Bridge.jpg SR5-Head.jpg SR5_HeadBack.jpg SR5-BackFull.jpg SR5-Back.jpg SR5-BodyWear.jpg SR5-Repair.jpg SR5-Neck.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    kazuhank, Mistahbenn, Cyborg and 5 others like this.
  2. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Cyborg, basmansam, Slapped and 2 others like this.
  3. yuri vilches

yuri vilches

Jun 2, 2008
    shipping to Miami ?

4. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    PM sent...

5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    You mentioned the alnico pickup.Out of curiosity , don’t the early stingray fives have a ceramic pickup?

6. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    the earliest SR5’s were Alnico (I think through mid 89 or mid 90), then they switched to ceramic. Then later (2008 ish) back to Alnico when the Sterling 5 was introduced.

the middle position of the 3 way switch has also evolved. The original Alnico pickups did not have a phantom coil, so the middle position is true single coil, not the single coil + phantom coil you got with the Ceramic, or the dual coil plus filter of the post-2008 Alnico. All three have their charms, and the bass I’ve gigged the most in my life was a 1999 Ceramic SR5, which spent nearly 100% of its time in the single coil + phantom coil position.

raal, Lesfunk and bassdude51 like this.
  7. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Thanks for the information. I’ve leaned something new today!

8. yuri vilches

yuri vilches

Jun 2, 2008
    pm sent

9. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Price now includes shipping in the lower 48.

10. GrooveDaddy

GrooveDaddy Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Southern California
    Bump for some serious vintage SR mojo!

Tom F likes this.
  11. Man I am loving this thing! Really wish I had the cash. It’s a shame the repair work wasn’t done with Ash like the rest of the body. It almost looks like poplar.
    Very cool bass though, love all the mojo! I don’t see you having much of an issue selling it at this price.

Tom F likes this.
  12. makaspar

makaspar Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Oof... only thing holding me back is the weight. Great looking bass (even the repair), great price. Someone snag it!

Tom F likes this.
  13. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ

Thanks everybody! The only problem is that you’re making me question selling it!

the repair was interesting. I totally agree that a less visible repair would have been cool, but in a way (and I promise this isn’t a lame attempt at salesmanship) it does give the whole bass a little extra vibe. From knowing a little about it’s origins at Mannys, where I used to spend every lunch break when I worked in Rockefeller Center in NYC, to its time in a country band, to the repair and the mysterious initials scratched into the body, this bass just feels like it has stories to tell. It’s definitely a working bass that deserves a working bass player. No two ways about it.

I’m half inclined to pull this down if it doesn’t move soon. We’ll see what happens I suppose...

makaspar likes this.
  14. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Back up with my final price drop - almost 100% for sale at this point. Only exception would be local trade (NJ shore area) or trade plus cash.

You *might* tempt me with a Noble. But I really need to start generating cash as a computer upgrade for my home studio is imminent.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  15. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    On hold pending payment...

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021