Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

1x12 cabs - Aguilar GS112 vs. Eden D112XLT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slater, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm thinking about buying a pair of 1x12's to use with my Mesa Walkabout head. I've pretty much narrowed it down to a pair of Aguilar GS112's, a pair of Eden D112XLT's, or maybe, one of each.

I'm thinking of buying just one, then based on the results and performance of that cab, choosing it's mate. (Note: I have this little anal disposition that wants matching cabs :oops: :D, but tone is more important.)

Any insights, comments, or suggestions on these or any other 1x12's will be greatly appreciated! :)

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have both!

i like my Aggie more - some boobers around here say they are scooped, but that's what EQ's are for....

i had problems with my Eden and had to deal with Eden via the dealer....seach around for my thread on what happened...

even to this day, the Eden just doesn't sound perfect...no more Eden cabs for me...

:)

3. I run a pair of GS112 with a Snasamo RBI and a Crown Power Amp and I thing thay are great. I have not had a problem with a lack of mid range and the bass is good even down to a B.

Let us know what you choose

;)

4. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a pair of GS112's. What sounds scooped as single cabinet to my ears *completely* transforms with 2 GS112's together. The Pair of GS112's is a STELLAR sound. Full, Deep, phat and rich. I love the pair of GS112's. The total sound is greater than the sum of the parts.

One stand alone GS112 sounds a 'little' scooped to my ears, but it's not like there are absolutely NO mids. I think it's one of the best values in a singe 112 cab out there right now. Especially since one GS112 handles a low B string so well. ... BUT ....add the second GS112 and you have a much Larger sounding, and MUCH punchier rig. Can't go wrong really.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    all good Slater,

i'm all about matching cabs, too. while MANY guys here espouse the merits of different cabs, i like the more unified sound of like cabs.

but i did a review on the new Eden 1x12 alongside the GS112. should pop up with a search.

6. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'd take a look at the Avatar cabs, as well. You could get twice as many 1x12s from Avatar for the price of the Aguilar cabs. They only sell factory direct, with no advertising to speak of, which makes them a REALLY good deal.

Most people would rate the Aguilar cabs as being a little better, but many people here think the difference is very small, and you could put the cash you save towards a good preamp, etc. :D

Do a search for "avatar" in this forum if you're interested.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with getting the GS112s. I'd have a pair of them if the wife would let me. :p

7. +1 for the Aguilars. I've got a pair running off of a GK 1001RB and they are the best. I only boost the mids by about 3 db and it cuts right through. These things sound massive. A pair EASILY blows most 4x10s out of the water. Plus, matching cabs generally 'couple' better.

8. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    JOEY SQUID is selling a new GS112 for a really stinking great price... you should PM him. For what it's worth, I've owned Eden 10's but never 12's. However, having had several opportunities to play them side by side in stores, I much prefer the tone of the Aggie 12. They seemed a bit clearer AND rounder to my ears.

9. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I own a pair of Gs112s and a pair of berg 112s. The reason is they are very different. Haven't had much experience with the eden. Although the eden and Aguilar cab are about the same size, the eden cab does not have the bottom that the aguilar has. A couple of GS112s with enough power could handle just about any gig. The comment joker made about eden vs. aguilar sounds right to me. I know the same can be said for the 410xlt vs. the Gs410, which are very similar in design.

I have powered my two GS112s with an eden WT300, which has the same power rating as the mesa and always felt I needed a little more power. However, it did sound great.

Something else to consider, depending on what you are looking for is the bergantino 12s. They have a totally different sound. The reason I like these is that they really have as "hifi" sound.Which sometimes is really cool, but since the cabinet is physically not as big as the aguilar, you lose some low end depth. Probably more punchier than the aguilar. Unfortunately, these cabs love power. Seems like the more power you put to them the better they sound. I've noticed that the bergantino stuff does not always play well with tube power amps. They love raw power.

Price/Value-Avatar (It's a new cab for around $200!)
    sound/mix with band-Aguilar (Always seems to fall right in the "pocket" no matter who I play with)
    sound quality- Bergantino- best sounding cab, doesn't always give enough bottom for a band situation.

I make these comments regarding the different speakers depending on if a PA is a big part of your live playing. If I were playing in a more intimate setting most of the time, I would get the bergs. Loud band definitely the aguilar.

10. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks for all the replies!

It looks like I'm going with the Aggies, which is the way I was leaning anyway. I'm sure the Edens are good, and the Eden reputation had me interested, but it sounds like Aguilar is the way to go for me.

FWIW, I'll be using these cabs with a MusicMan Bongo 4-string and a Mesa Walkabout head. I'm playing in a Rock & Blues cover band (with a little Funk on the side). I'm upgrading my rig for my own personal satisfaction - My other band members and the audience probably won't know the difference ;) .

More comments are still appreciated! I haven't purchased anything, yet...

11. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    The Aggie GS112 rig with two cabinets will SLAY you, especially with the music you are playing. No Question. That's going to be a punchy, great sounding rig! Good call!

12. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    Just to butt in here quickly, would you guys with experience of the GS112 cabs say that 2 of them would be able to keep up with 2 marshall 1/2 stacks and a loud drummer if they were being pushed by 500 watts? Playing finger style rock/metal with a 4 string.

Cheers

Ian

13. Pickebass, have you ever combined one Bergantino and one Aguilar? A search doesn't yield much info. about this. I have an EX112 coming from another TBer and will be pairing it, at least initially, with my GS112.

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

Yeah I have... I have tried it both ways. I have an EX112 and the HT. The tweeter on the berg is really nice. Probably the smoothest of all the tweeters around. The good thing with this is that I get punch from the berg and roundness/fullness from the aguilar. With a 5 this is a great combo because it doesn't fart out. With this combo I know you can play a loud gig and not have any problems. I tried it with my bass pod and mackie power amp and it was loud. I've tried doing this bridged running 4 ohms from the amp and this works best. I have also tried it running separately from each channel and didn't like what I heard. Because the sensitivity on each cab is different, the volumes have to be adjusted accordingly for equal volume. The only thing I didn't like about that the aguilar sounded really"wooly" while the berg sounded super "hifi". I don't know if it was the amp or what. I also tried this with matching speakers and didn't have the problem. Could've simply been not putting as much power to each speaker...

If you're gonna have different 112s the berg/aguilar is probably the best combo because they are the most different sonically. One giving you rapid punch, the other giving you deep bottom

15. The Berg tweeter is smooth. I'd like to get an HT112 when finances allow. I've played through several of Jim's cabs (112, 115, 210, 322) and was impressed with all of them.

Thanks. That's what I am hoping to hear. . . The best of both worlds. Last month I started bringing my GS112 to rehearsals with a loud, seven piece (not including vocalists) rock band. The drummer and guitarist started scratching their heads when they heard the low end coming out of that tiny box. At one rehearsal I plugged into a 6x10 at the space but quickly went back to the GS112.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You owe it to yourself to have a listen to an Epifani T-112. You'll be amazed.

-Mike

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

hey slater,

i think its important to note what you're looking for in your sound. if you want a really deep, thick feeling bass sound, then the aggie's are for you.

but, if you want massive cut and presence, at the slight risk of a deep feeling low end, the Eden's are great. that edgey tone could cut thru molasses and then some, IMHO.

18. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks joker,

Right now, I'm thinking that I'm going to get one Aggie cab and see/hear how it sounds with the Walkabout, then go from there...

(P.S. Your post comparing the Aggy and Eden cabs from late last year was very informative. Thanks for pointing it out! :) )

19. The Aggies are definitlely smooth and provide some thick bottom. Give 'em lots of juice and the mids will start to come alive. I regularly rock with 2 of these, a StingRay, and a 500W head and it's all I need for any venue (in big venues I have PA support.)

Your Bongo will kill through the GS112. I find that in using one for the lower volume gigs, it is voiced just right for that volume level and you don't really need much EQ.

All that being said I just picked up an Epi 110UL that I'm going to pair with one of the Aggies -- I dig how it shapes the Stingray's mids, so hopefully in combination it will work really well.