1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 Bands... dilemma

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Sleeq, May 28, 2011.

1. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    Hi guys, I'll try to keep it short:

- In a popular band locally, won best band in the country and 3rd regionally in 2008

- never went anywhere after that (didn't market it, write music etc) for various reasons, and never played again since (still friends though)

- me & guitar'd started another band

- been doing great , gigs, writing, websites, following.

- yesterday, the other 2 call us up. "We would love you guys to play on this track"

- Nothing about the old band was mentioned.

So... is it us playing as session players or as the old band? I'm not interested in the old band anymore... I'm on a good track musically with the new one.

We're worried they will ask us to put the band back together, and since we are friends, that won't take it well when we decline. (I can't be in 2 full time bands).

What do you think? I'm gonna tell 'em I'm there for any sessions, but not as a band member.

2. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    As my teacher always said: "don't turn down anything until it's offered to you". I understand why you might feel the need to preemptively say something, but I think you're jumping the gun.

Record the track, and concentrate on that. If they actually ask you about continuing on, then tell them you'll think about it. Don't set an awkward or negative tone going in. That's a sure way to ruin the vibe, and possibly the relationship.

3. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Sounds like your buddies have started writing. Of course you should help them out. Could be great. May re-affirm your feeling. I know I would.

4. RonnieP

RonnieP

Mar 22, 2011
    Toledo Ohio
    I also have a similar situation with ex-bandmates. I have moved on to another band since our last one has ended, and im happy with this new band. But every now and again some of the guys from my original band still give me a call to jam or even track some stuff for them.
    One of the guys in particular wants me to be his bass player in his new project but i declined. I told him that i'll still jam with you and help you find a new drummer and guitar player but i won't play any shows.
    It's cool though because i can help him out in his new project, and i can get my licks in and have a good time. I would have to agree with skwee on this one.. keep playing in you're own project you are committed to nothing yet. but you should play with as many different people as you can.
    Besides we're all bass players here... we gotta be versatile, its what we do!!