1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

2 electronics to 1 switch

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zackthompson, Aug 10, 2012.

1. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I'm doing a "2 in 1" bass. What do I need to do to wire 2 sets of electronics to a 3-way switch into one output jack? Basically, jazz electronics on one side of the switch, p electronics on the other side of the switch, and, if possible, both on in the middle. If that isn't possible, an off switch in the middle is fine too.

2. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Forgot to say the jazz electronics are active. So it requires a battery. The P electronics are passive

3. That's not going to work well. Active pickups have a much lower output impedance than passives, which will load them down when both are used. You will want to buffer the passive pickup to drop its output impedance.

4. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    The pickups are passive. The pre is active

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Doesn't matter. You can't mix the output of the two. The P would need to run through a preamp or buffer amp. And then the two outputs should be mixed together through some resistors.

If you ran them together, the output of the preamp would load down the P pickup and make it quiet and dull sounding. They might also be out of phase, depending on if the preamp inverts the signal.

6. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Ok, would the on off on idea work? If so, can you give me a diagram or some instructions on how to do it?

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yes that would work. It's easy; one set of pickups goes to one outside terminal, the other pickup to the other outside terminal, and the output to the jack is the middle terminal.

8. zackthompson

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Awesome! Thanks so much! You guys have no idea how much you help out on here. Thank you for being willing to share your knowledge with people like me who have no clue what they're doing sometimes.