1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2 seperate Pickup sets 1 instrument

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mortsnnesnaes, Jun 3, 2012.

1. mortsnnesnaes

mortsnnesnaes

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have a dinky p bass that has been the victim of many modifications at my hands. My latest interest is to take an extra set of Jazz bass pickups and electronics and add them to the P bass on a seperate circuit using the same jack if possible.

Any idea on how to do that? I'd like it to use a switch to switch pickups.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Seems like a DPST switch would make it a simple matter.

3. mortsnnesnaes

mortsnnesnaes

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Would I wire each circuit the same, but instead of soldering to the jack, just solder to the switch? If so where should I go to get the best quality switch for my money?

4. mortsnnesnaes

mortsnnesnaes

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Also would there be a way to make it so all three pickups were being used at once, as well as having the option to use just the P bass, or just the J bass? If so how would I go about doing that. I want to have the most versatility out of my set up as possible.

Edit: Stupid question just realized having a 3 way switch could do that. But how would I go about wiring it? I have little to no experience with electronics, other than just replacing pickups/pots/jacks. I don't know how to go about doing an entirely new rig like this.

5. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    A volume pot for each pickup.
    A SPDT switch to put the P-pickup in/out of the circuit.
    A SPDT switch to put the J-set in/out of the circuit.

Total: 3 pots+2 switches.
    Maybe a master tone pot.

6. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
  7. mortsnnesnaes

mortsnnesnaes

Apr 25, 2012
    New Jersey
    Okay, so could I wire it like this?
    P-Bass Pickup -> Volume and Tone Knobs -> Switch -> Output Jack
    J-Bass Pickup -> Volume/Volume and Tone Knobs -> Same Switch -> Output Jack
    and have the switch be a 3 position switch like on a tele and have one position be J, one position be P, and the other position be both?

EDIT: Say if I were to use one of these switches http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electro...hes_and_knobs/Switchcraft_Slide_Switches.html
    Would it be possible to have first position be J-Bass, second be P-Bass, and third be Both?

8. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Yep, those switches would work.