1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD 2000 Zon Sonus 5 Lightwave, New soundclip.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dirk Diggler, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Price:
    $1500
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    2000 Zon Sonus 5 Lightwave. This is an unlined fretless, with side dots on the fret line. 34" scale neck. The carbon fiber neck is straight as the day it left the factory. No truss rod, never needed it. Nice buttery smooth neck with mwah-o-plenty as expected with Zon. The top is a fantastic tiger maple over the classic Zon Ash body. The Lightwave system lends itself very well to fretless, and can really get a nice acoustic upright growl to it. Also it allows that fantastic top to shine through.

It comes with a Zon Pro-Tec gig bag, there are several places on the edge that need to be restitched, but it holds and protects well. I'm also including a nice barely used Zon branded leather strap. Of course the charging wallwort will be included. I've tested it's battery capacity and it's running a good
    5 + hours still of continual use. The battery is marked year 2000, so at some point you'll need to get a replacement if you want the full experience. Of course you can play with power plugged in as well.

Concerns: The back of the headstock has some odd finish cracking near 2 tuners. Nothing on the front though and only finish cosmetic. A couple circular marks near the jack. A tiny little finish chip off the top of the headstock. Light scuffed area around 12th fret, looks like someone used steel wool, it could be buffed out perhaps, I can't feel it at all playing. Only slight string wrap marks on fingerboard from rounds. See the pictures below for details.

Packing and insurance included. Already packed up and ready to go.

At this price, buyer pays actual shipping cost.

Any questions, please let me know.
    Dirk

DSC_0020.jpg DSC_0019.jpg DSC_0021.jpg DSC_0022.jpg DSC_0023.jpg DSC_0024.jpg DSC_0025.jpg DSC_0026.jpg DSC_0027.jpg DSC_0028.jpg DSC_0029.jpg DSC_0015.jpg DSC_0017.jpg DSC_0018.jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  2. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    what's the string spacing ? 18mm 19mm ?
    any sound clips?

3. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Hey Dennis, if I'm not mistaken, it's 17mm. And in case I didn't mention it's 34" scale.

Alright so I went ahead and noodled through pretty much the full range of tones. Including Ice Tone, that should be pretty obvious, then at the end some of both. Sound clip attached.
    Recorded DI from EA iAmp set flat.

Thanks for the interest.
    Dirk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I had one of these - koa over ash, also a 2000 build. 17mm bridge spacing. Probably the best bass I ever had. Incredibly "neutral" - really all about your fingers...

5. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Hey thanks for comment nostatic,
    I bet that Koa looked great too.
    I agree and think the term touch sensitive would be another way to describe it.
    It is very reactive to the fingers, you can dig in or play lightly and it sounds very different.
    Dirk

6. Dennis Kong

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Dirk:
    thanks for mp3.
    17mm spacing is bit too small for my taste.
    I live close by Joe but he did not have any thing have try out a awhile ago.
    Nice guy.
    I use his nice guitar straps & headless case with my basses!

7. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Hey Dennis,
    thanks for asking, I'm pretty sure that's his standard spacing on fretless basses.
    I've never had a problem with 17mm feeling cramped at all, but that's the great thing about discovering your preferences. :)
    Good luck in your search.
    Dirk

8. Dennis Kong

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
    Mahalo. definitely --a matter of preference.

9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Wow, that's a pretty bass here.

10. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Merci mon ami. :)

FrenchBassQC likes this.
  11. These are probably the best sounding fretless basses ever made. The range of tones you are actually able to get from a single pickup is pretty astonishing. The ones I have played sound less piezo like that the recording above.

12. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Thanks and I certainly agree, my sound sample was just direct, through an amp indeed anything is possible.
    I don't really think of Lightwave as 1 pickup, actually 5 individually adjustable pickups. :)

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That is one beautiful bass.

14. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Thanks, that top is indeed spectacular, I'm surprised this is still available, but I get that Lightwave isn't for everyone.
    Dirk

15. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    And in the news department, I was recently able to contact Zon/Lightwave (actually Wilcox Guitars) and this bass now has a brand new battery. I was also told that batteries will continue to be free to owners. Talk about service for an instrument 18 years old.

I really would prefer this bass stay within the TB community.
    Please help me avoid having to sell it elsewhere.

This price includes free packing/insurance. It will be packed up well and I would expect it to ship same business day, or at minimum next business day. Buyer will pay the exact cost of shipping, I do not profit from shipping.

Any questions feel free to start a conversation with me.

Thanks again,
    Dirk

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  16. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    Are you Dirk Lance? LOL

17. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Sadly, no I am not, however Dirk is indeed my real first name.
    Thanks for asking.
    Dirk

Stewart13 likes this.
  18. Stewart13

Stewart13 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Redmond, Oregon
    Badass! GLWTS

greykatz likes this.
  19. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Per request I've added a new audio sample for your consideration.
    Bass was set flat with no ice tone, DI into audio interface, no EQ.
    This is about as honest as it gets, please excuse the performance, this is meant to showcase tone not my playing.
    Dirk

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018

20. This guy is fishing for emails.

He has hit every seller today trying to get their email address.

Just wanted to let everyone know.

77stingray likes this.