1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale 2001 Emmanuel Wilfer REDUCED $9,000

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by dkimbrobass, Jul 19, 2018.

1. dkimbrobass

dkimbrobass Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Price:
    $9000.00
    Strings:
    For your consideration I'm offering my German 2001 Wilfer Hybrid+ for sale.
    This bass has been my main axe since midway through college, and has served me well both on the road and in the studio.

I call this bass a "Hybrid+" because it has a carved top AND carved sides. The back is laminated maple with a highly figured veneer. According to Mike Shank there were a few of these "weird Wilfers" made where only the back was laminated. I'm not luthier so I can't speak to that, but I can tell you it sounds pretty killer.

I'd describe the sound as classic Juzek-y Wilfer-y. Growling, mid-scooped lows and punchy highs (audio samples included below). It's currently strung with Helicore Hybrids, though I've used Evah's, Kaplan, Kaplan solo, and of course Spiros with great results. Throw on some Spirocores and, well, it's damn good. Killer jazz axe w/ Spiros or guts. The action is medium-low (I guess?), though there's plenty of room to raise or lower per your preference. No buzzes, just good ole woody growl.

This bass, like most, has endured some wear and tear over it's eventful life. Mike Shank did a top-off repair of a rib crack in 2013, at which time the fingerboard was dressed and planed, the soundpost replaced, a new bridge was cut, and the endpin was re-seated. He also repaired some open seams and a small crack in the top 3rd of the back. I can't say enough about Mike's repair and setup work. When I got this bass back from him it was a revelation. Last fall Randy Hunt went through the instrument with a fine-tooth comb and cut another bridge to accommodate a Fishman Full Circle pick-up, though I will include the Shank bridge and it's wider adjusters in the sale should you desire a different pickup. At this time Randy also installed some tasteful fingerboard inlays (E side neck at G and A, thumb position dots are placed at the octave G, Bb, D, G, Bb (relative to the G string, to clarify, fret references would be: 12, 15, 19, 24, 27).

All repairs and road-rash should be evident in the included pics. I've also included a non-iPhone pic courtesy of the folks at Aguilar so you can see what it looks like in non-sunlight (also for ego-stroking purposes...duh).

I used this bass on the Grammy-nominated record "What If" by we in the Jerry Douglas Band, this album was nominated for "Contemporary Instrumental Album of The Year."

Included are some audio samples...just some random pizz and arco noodles (unedited, un-mastered, no EQ etc...just an Ear Trumpet Labs Nadine through an old Apogee Duet - also, I've been traveling and only just got back to this bass today, she's a bit cranky with the bow from sitting for the better part of a month).

I've used this bass to accompany the likes of Jerry Douglas, James Taylor, Alison Krauss, Mary Chapin Carpenter, loads of other folks who liked the way it sounded.

The instrument was appraised by Mike Shank for insurance purposes in 2013 for $12,000. I've made some adjustments and improvements, plus the extra 5 years of age and tons of playing have really opened the bass up, so I'm gonna let it go for $11,500.

The bass includes the following pictured accessories:
    - 2nd Bridge via Mike Shank (w/ large wooden adjusters)
    - Fishman Full-Circle pick up (brand new!)
    - Mooradian standard gig bag (I LOVE this bag, looks brand new, the pencil is free)
    - Carbon Fiber Endpin

The bass does NOT include the Hipshot Freerange Xtender pictured on the E string (sorry, gotta keep that, I use it too often).

I'm not terribly excited by the idea of shipping it, but I'm open to all options, including driving to meet someone. I'm in Nashville 2-3 times a month, so if anyone happens to be in town and wants to try it let's get together. Thanks for looking, please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions or offers. - DK

Measurements/Dimensions:

- D Neck

- String Length...................41.25"

- Length of FB....................33 7/8"

- Width @ Upper Bout.........19 7/16"

- Width @ Lower Bout.........25 7/8"

- Rib depth.........................8.5" (pretty consistent depth around the ribs)

- Width @ Nut.....................1 7/8"

- Width @ End of FB.............3 7/8"

Pics

01 Kimbro Wilfer Front. 02 Kimbro Wilfer 3:4. 04 Kimbro Wilfer Back 3:4. 05 Kimbro Wilfer Side. 06 Kimbro Wilfer Side 2. 08 Kimbro Wilfer Scroll 2. 09 Kimbro Wilfer Heel. 10 Kimbro Wilfer Inlays. 11 Kimbro Wilfer Neck. 12 Kimbro Wilfer Label. 13 Kimbro Wilfer Heel Back Close. 14 Kimbro Wilfer Crack. 15 Kimbro Wilfer Back Close. 16 Kimbro Wilfer Endpin. 21 Kimbro Wilfer Bag 1. 22 Kimbro Wilfer Bag 2. 18 Kimbro Wilfer Second Bridge. 20 Kimbro Wilfer Bridge Foot. 23 Kimbro Wilfer Appraisal. Kimbro Wilfer Aguilar.

Audio Clips

Pizz:

Arco:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Reiska likes this.
  2. krfoss

krfoss Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Your Aguilar picture is fantastic.

CayGee and dkimbrobass like this.
  3. dkimbrobass

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Thankin ya. DK

4. dkimbrobass

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Reduced to $10,500. Make an offer, thanks much friends. DK

5. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Unless I'm doing something wrong, it seems that the 2 audio clips are identical (pizz).
    Just wanted to let you know (and also wouldn't mind hearing the arco).

6. dkimbrobass

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN

Hey Thanks! Not sure how that happened, but will fix ASAP. Cheers man, nice of you. DK

Selim likes this.
  7. dkimbrobass

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Fixed, thanks again so much. DK

8. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings
    I want to chime to say that I know this bass and its' driver, and I think very highly of both of them. This will be a great bass for somebody!

Not that either of them need my endorsement.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Mgaisbacher likes this.
  9. dkimbrobass

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Reduced to $10,000. Very motivated to sell in pursuit of a different instrument. Thanks for considering! DK

10. dkimbrobass

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    FYI new 10mm wood/metal endpin, pics soon. DK

11. dkimbrobass

Jul 16, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    Reduced to $9k

12. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    holy cow ..... awesome. What's the street price on a kidney? Good shape, one owner.

GLWTS