1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2019 CMA Awards

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Holdsg, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    I just got around to watching this year's CMA awards. I always record award shows so I can skip the ads and acceptance speeches. blah.

And while this is the bluegrass thread, I don't think there is a upright country thread, I'm just gonna leave this here.

LOTS OF DBs ON STAGE!

I was kinda floored that there were several songs/bands that used the DB on stage that night.
    I seem to remember at least 4 acts that used DB. That's fantastic!

Oh, and there was a cameo of my favorite dobro player, Jerry Douglas too.

Sure, plenty of electrics too, but It was a good night for acoustic instruments!

dhergert likes this.
  2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Thanks for posting, we missed the show. And like you, I'm always watching for DBs (and to be fair, banjos and mandolins and Dobros) on stage.

Now, if there was an Alcoa on stage, that'd really be something! ;)

3. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    no Alcoas in sight, sorry.

dhergert likes this.
  4. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Jerry Douglas was in town recently for a solo show. The man is a god, but by the end of the night I found myself thinking there might be such a thing as too much dobro.

5. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    No such thing. Too much banjo, sure. Dobro? Never.

MrLenny1 likes this.
  6. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I've heard too much Dobro, but only when it isn't very good and the players are drunk. Definitely not from Jerry Douglas.

Edit: And yes, I've heard too much banjo too, pretty often. And banjo is what I'm most well known for playing, but I have my limits: 2 banjos in a jam is enough, at 3 I'll put my banjo away and get out my mandolin. Unless I can play bass.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    210superair likes this.
  7. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Yeah - different strokes. But I've seen a lot of excellent solo acts, and IMO, the most enjoyable ones have at least SOME variety. The best fiddler around - to my ear - gets a tad tiresome after an hour of nothing but fiddle.

dhergert likes this.
  8. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Any amount of "not very good" and/or "drunk players" gets annoying quickly, regardless of instrument. When it comes to Dobro, I often fall into both categories...

210superair and dhergert like this.
  9. Holdsg

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    moderation in all things...including moderation

dhergert and 210superair like this.
  10. 210superair

210superair

Sep 10, 2019
    We must jam sir.

I don't watch the cma's, but I'm honestly not a fan of much modern cm. I like the guys Nashville ignores basically. So until cm becomes more cm again, I'll probably skip the a's.

Keith Rawlings and dhergert like this.
  11. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    That's pretty much where I'm at. But sometimes I wonder if I'm missing some fine nuggest by ignoring the entire genre. For example, I never listen to the Dixie Chicks, but our band recently started playing one of their tunes (Long Time Gone) that ROCKS!

210superair and Holdsg like this.