1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

210 + 112?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iamchipsmith, Aug 18, 2007.

1. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    I've seen this discussed a few times but I don't think I've ever seen a major thread dedicated to it. So lets get some info on this speaker combo. Anyone use it? Gig it? How does it sound? Does the 112 compete with the 210?

Currently I have the Markbass CMD 112P. I'm looking for an extension cab and think that maybe a 210 would be better than another 12. What do you guys think?

2. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I use that combo, although my 210 sucks. It just depends on the cabs, but a lot of times you will get good results by using 2 of the same cab. But, if you have a deep sounding 112, a 210 is a good compliment to it and they should be pretty evenly matched output wise, if you are sticking with MB.

3. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    I'm open to any brand and sort of leaning away from MB for the cab because of tone, price, and availability.

4. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I'd say it would be an awesome combo especially with the 112 on top.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I played my SR5 through an Aguilar DB750 + GS112 + GS210 at a music store and the combination was excellent -- heft & punch.

I'd love to hear the Aguilar DB112 and DB210 together also.

Then there's the Bergantino HT322 (1x12+2x10 in one cabinet -- internally, two chambers).
    I owned and gigged with one for a year -- great cab!

6. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    So how do you guys think it'd stack up against a 212 or even 410 in terms of tone and volume. I'm guessing the 410 will be louder but by how much?

7. Markus Bender

Markus Bender

Dec 15, 2005
    Germany
    Right now I'm playing 2 EA Wizzys.
    I'm thinking of buying a NL-210 (4Ohm) and use one Wizzy on top of it.
    Anybody tried this combination?

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    If you're talking about comparing different configurations of cabs from the same manufacturer, then I think they would all be in the same ballpark (of course, the internal size of the cabinet will have an impact).

The bottom line would be checking the sensitivity/efficiency and power-handling of the various cabs.

9. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I have three Avatar cabinets - a 112 and a 210 that I run together (both 8 ohm, with the 210 on top) and a 4-ohm 410. With an EA iAmp 800, the 210/112 combination sounds a little better but the 410 is about 30% (totally unscientific guess) louder and more portable. I use the 410 at gigs and the 210/112 stays in the studio for now.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

2x10+1x12. That's how I roll, my brother!! Avatar cabs. I do some serious rumbling with this combo. I use a Hartke 5500 or a Fender 400 Pro (older version) on top.

11. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    Ok so which would produce more low end? 2x112 or 210+112? All other things being equal of course.

12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Another TB'er wrote a few days ago that he had very
    good success with hie MB 121P om top of an Epifani
    UL112. I think this might be a good combo too. The
    LMII sounds very good on its own with the UL112, Big
    low end and present highs. I'm going to try this combo
    in the next week. I'll let you know. The right 2x10 box
    would probably be cool too.

13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Depends on the drivers & cabs used...

Acme just uses 10" drivers for their woofers, but their low end will slay most cabs that have 12", 15" or even 18" drivers (the trade-off is that they are not very efficient).

14. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    I probably would go for the UL112 but I don't know if I can really justify spending that much. I may just do buy it and be happy though. In the meantime I'll search for a cheaper 210 that'll get the job done.

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    You might think about trying either an Avatar B210 Neo or a DrBass 2x10 (of some sort -- BL or RL) with your current combo.

16. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I tried it without much success in terms of sound and I eventually blew up the 1x12, but my amp, cables, ohms, and volume were ok. The 1x12 may have been someone's used up afterthought that was ultimately doomed. Hard to say...

I'm sure that the 1x12/2x10 set can deliver great results, but I really like 10's. I've started using a pair of 2x10's because my 4x10 can't fit in my Corolla, but I'd also prefer a 1x15/2x10 pairing over a 2x10/1x12 just because I've also used that duo with good results - it really seems to cover the spectrum and barks when it has to.

Without an issue of hauling capacity, I'd definately want my rack sitting on my 4x10 - I don't see a 2x10/1x12 set of similar quality running circles around it, but the flexibility that comes with smaller cabs is nice for the smaller outings. Maybe I'm just a sucker for a cab with casters...

If my pair of 2x10's keep on delivering, my 4x10 will probably find a new home in the near future.

17. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    I've been strongly considering Dr. Bass. However I haven't made up my mind of whether I'd go with one of their 210s or 112s. I have even considered getting one of their 115s. They are alot lighter than most. So Anyone have expirience with a 112+115 rig? Or even a Dr. Bass 115? Thanks for all the help.

The RX line is really cheap, is their quality there? What are they comparable to?

18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Light & portable 1x15 = Bag End S15-D (very punchy for a 15" -- or so I've been told).

In general, 12" 's and 15" 's will have a rounder tone, whereas 10" 's will be punchier.

What kind of tone are you after?

19. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    Well I'd like to have a versatile rig and I think I'm still searching for "my sound" but I think I lean towards the vintage side of things. However I do like to slap once in awhile.

20. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

Dec 15, 2006
    Bump