1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

2nd Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tooned, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Tooned

Tooned

Sep 14, 2006
    White Rock BC
    Hi,
    I've been playing for a little over a year. A relative noob here.

Currently I play and Fender Am. Std. 4 string Precision. I'm curious of what people's opinions would be of what a good 2nd bass would be. I love my P but would like to add some versatility down the road just for fun.
    I play rock and punk but have little interest in funky or slap styles. (nothing against them mind you)

I was thinking a five string jazz type bass because it'll give me the low D string and a more variable sound.
    Is that a good choice or should I be looking for a 5 string P/J? I'm a fan of the fender looking basses but Fender's choices of colour options are limited. (at least with the new ones)

How does a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn for example compare in price and build quality to and American Fender?
    As for price range.. Similar to the American Std Fenders, so less than $1500.

Opinions and suggestions appreciated.:bassist:
    Thanks.

2. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    If you're like most (myself included) you'll go over all the choices and weigh the pros and cons and second guess, third guess, etc the decision. A Skyline JO 5 string would be far from a bad choice. Pick up one used and you will be able to recoup nearly the full price paid should you decide it's not you're thing.

IMHO, you're on the right track looking for a 5 string Jazz. Of course it really depends on what kind of music you want to play.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd suggest a Jazz bass...then you'll have 2/3 of the most recorded basses in history. A 5er would be ok...I'm just not a fan of the looks for Fenders 5 sting basses.

Adversely, you could get an EBMM Stingray...which would be the 1/3 I'm talking about. I just got an SR5...it rules!!!

4. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I had a 5 string for years. The B string ended up just being a glorified thumb rest. For rock and punk, you really don't need a low B IMO. I like classic/vintage looking stuff, so the 5 strings just didn't cut it. I sold it and got a 4 string.

IMO look into getting a Fender Jazz bass to go along withyour P. They are a little more articulate sounding with a little less of that boomy punch. I like the sound of both however. I have a 1972 jazz bass with a drop D tuner. Just flip the lever and you have that low D that you are looking for (perfectly in tune). :D

5. Tooned

Tooned

Sep 14, 2006
    White Rock BC
    Thanks for the feedback People!

How does the build quality compare from a Musicman or a Lakland Skyline to Fender Am. Std?

Does a drop D tuner work well and stay in tune?

Happy Friday!

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    EBMM has very good quality control. You can always end up with a dud from say MF or GC (it's not their fault how instruments are stored or transported)...but direct or from a small shop, their quality is very hard to beat for the price. I think they kill Fender in this area...

I think they are better than the Skyline series as well...

The drop tuner works very well when set up correctly. Sometimes you need to fanagle it a little to get it back in tune from D - E...I use the Billy Sheehan method. Pull outwards on the string as you flip the lever, then let the string go. Works every time...

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Quality of Lakland Skyline is very similar to Am Fenders IMO. I'd prefer the skyline if it's a 5er-the B WILL be tighter and clearer on the 35" Lakland.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    As a recent G&L convert, I suggest that you check out their stuff. The build quality on their USA instruments is supposed to be as good, if not better, than EBMM. Plus, you can find some absolute steals on used ones.

9. Tooned

Tooned

Sep 14, 2006
    White Rock BC
    Thanks for the advice, everybody.
    You've given me a lot of good food for thought.

Cheers!

10. I really didn't play too many Fender J's back when I was J shopping. I guess I just picked up the Skyline Joe Osborn and just didn't see much of a point in trying the other J's out. I loved it that much.

I would definitely hunt a Lakland down and give it a shot if I were you.

11. bird_man022

bird_man022

Apr 15, 2007
    Peoria, AZ
    4 string ebmm stingray

12. Tooned

Tooned

Sep 14, 2006
    White Rock BC
    A few people have mentioned the Stingray. Is it a good rock bass? Is it tonally versatile like the Jazz is supposed to be?

Happy beer day!

13. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Try one of these they are both mean!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Stingray is a great rock bass with one big caveat...even though you get some tone switching with them, they all pretty much sound the same if you get the ones with the bridge pickup only, and they have a hugely identifiable signature sound. I haven't tried the 2 pickup models yet, though.

You have a bit of a dilemma, I think. For a second bass, a Jazz and a 5-string are great choices. I hardly ever use my 5 anymore but I'm glad I have it. It's there if I need it. Unfortunately, Fender's 5-string Jazz basses aren't exactly their shining moment as a manufacturer. They're good but not spectacular like the 4-strings. But on the other hand, they're definitely good enough to be uesd professionally, and it would kill two birds with one stone. So the choice is get one bass that does everything well enough but not great, or get two basses that do each thing great.

Now bear in mind that this is just my personal opinion on the 5-string Jazz. You may play it and decide that it's perfect. Others play them and like them a lot.

15. veganinjackneck

veganinjackneck Guest

Oct 31, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ
    how about a bass vi or baritone jaguar or gretch baritone

16. While a Jazz or the G&L is also a good second, there is one more that, in my humble opinion is a better and more unique tone and that is a Rickenbacker. I know it costs more, but you have the Precision (for 31 years that was my only bass and a great first choice, no doubt!) and there is no need to hurry. Save up some jack and order a Ric. It's that other sound and it will do the growly high end thing that is similar to the Jazz, but the neck through and the maple body give it another dimension. Beyond that, you could really go for a classic masterpiece and get a Ken Smith. I think for variety, you want to go beyond Fender for the second bass.

An entirely different approach would be to go for a fretless Precision. That would give you a whole different sound quality with a degree of familiarity as well. It's a nice pair to have, fretted and fretless matching basses.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021